Storing And Displaying Blades

Robertex

You can try https://www.etsy.com/listing/218672622/Japanese-style-katana-dansu-sword-chestor http://easternclassics.net/products-page/bedroom/Japanese-style-sword-chest/, assuming you want a new, rather than authentic, katanadansu, Steven. And I'm sure that shipping would be less than getting essentially the same thing from Japan. I'll admit that these do look like a new version of my Edo katanadansu.

Ken

If there's someone that can be recommended for an  authentic katanadansu stateside I'd certainly be interested.  My only concern with the Eastern Classics chest is the lack of racks/dividers, though I'm sure that can be fabricated.  I'm sure shipping will be less than the over $1,000 shipping estimate from UPS...

I suggest that you buy some fairly substantial foam, Steven, & then cut out "niches" for your blades to stand edge-up. Worked great for me until I had enough blades that they stand up next to each other in their sword bags.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies to the purists, but I enjoy displaying this one. I think utilizing minimal materials to highlight the koshirae is appropriate although not traditional. UV resistance treated acrylic case combined with desiccant to maintain a lower RH provides protection.

BEN M.

post-2424-0-46721800-1432078772_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If Shirasaya are really mini-katanadansu, and koshirae need a more humid environment, should the blades be bare in the katanadansu?  I'm purchasing a sword that doesn't have shirasaya, but it's in koshirae - or perhaps I should just have Aoi Art make me one while waiting for export?

Also, how humid/moist should the environment be for the koshirae - are we talking just comfortable vs. dry, or more like a humidor?

Good display but best way to destroy the lacquer work, I wonder why no one has asked himself why swords and koshirae were stored apart in Japan. I wonder why people are going at length to preserve the blades and do their nest to destroy the koshirae lacquer works.

Ask Guido or Henry W. how they store their Koshirae....

Good display but best way to destroy the lacquer work, I wonder why no one has asked himself why swords and koshirae were stored apart in Japan. I wonder why people are going at length to preserve the blades and do their nest to destroy the koshirae lacquer works.

Ask Guido or Henry W. how they store their Koshirae....

I am sure they are stored somewhere to keep them from drying out and cracking - I do make sure the humidity doesnt go much below 30% and I wax the koshirae with Rennaissence Wax. Hasn't seemed to do much damage in 20 years so = ?

Hmm, good question, Jean. I have koshirae stored in one drawer of my katanadansu, & blades in shirasaya in the other four drawers. Lots of humidity here in Hawaii, averaging 60%RH, non-condensing. Both the blades & the koshirae look just fine, several after 10-15 years. Shouldn't one or the other show some problems?

Ken

Regarding storage, I keep my swords and koshirae in their bags and in a safe when not at home.

Recently acquired a new katana-kake. Reluctant to display a koshirae on it though, for fear of scratching or marring the lacquer. 

Lots of photos.

post-2683-0-91399600-1432356053_thumb.jpgpost-2683-0-39802000-1432356076_thumb.jpgpost-2683-0-64993900-1432356101_thumb.jpgpost-2683-0-24800500-1432356139_thumb.jpgpost-2683-0-48128500-1432356164_thumb.jpgpost-2683-0-54985000-1432356197_thumb.jpgpost-2683-0-53128200-1432356221_thumb.jpg

Alan

• Like 2

Humidity does not damage lacquer itself in the slightest whether it be 0% or 100%. it's all about the wood expanding or contracting inside that creates cracking of the lacquer where the wood changes size and the lacquer remains the same. At home I have a particularly annoying door that is very hard to close in winter when it's expanded which many of you may of experienced (in summer for most in hot countries).

Sharp changes in humidity/temperature are the main problem such as when shipping or a change in environment from Japan to Europe. It's all about acclimatization at the end of the day so if Brian's koshirae has been kept at a constant 30% RH for 20 years then that is perfect and any changes are more likely to do damage than not, although it can take years in a low humidity environment to cause damage as the lacquer protects the wood, through diffusion it will eventually balance the moisture in the wood with that of the outside environment. I presume in Japan they're kept separate from blades because Japan is a very humid country and the koshirae would be worn subjecting it to Japans natural humidity, while the blades when not being worn would be kept at a low humidity to stop rusting. Ideally 55-60% RH is perfect for Japanese lacquerware as when the wood is cured in Japan it is acclimatized to Japans humidity, unless however it's been kept at a constant low humidity for years without signs of damage since.

Here's an interesting article on the subject of conservation: http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/pdfs/cnsv-lacquer.pdf

James:  Thanks for your comprehensive response.  I too believe it's more about change versus a specific RH level for Lacquer.  I plan to keep mine under some desiccant (as it contains the blade) and work to maintain the humidity at a constant rate.  In hindsight, I wished I would have had a shirasaya made by the dealer before I received it. 

Brian:  Wow.  That is wonderful display case :clap: .  You must enjoy looking your collection in that manner every day.  I'm considering such a ambitious design myself but am not in a big hurry. Rennaissence Wax for Koshirae?  Hmmm.  Is this widely accepted treatment?...as recognized as a light choji oil to blades?

Alan:  Your katana-kake is artwork by itself, :)  however, I think that's begging to hold something.  Is that late Edo or something more modern?

Ben M.

James,

It depends as you say from where comes the koshirae. Most of people don't know what was its previous environment. A lot of blades are coming from Japan through sellers as Aoi Art. What do you think will happen after a few decades. I can tell you first hand. I have had Juyo Tametsugu for a few years when I heard that the previous owner had the koshirae and was willing to sell it. I bought it, upon arrival the lacquer of saya was flaking away...years of bad conservation.

I knew the article you have posted and it shows clearly that lacquer must not be exposed to light, Urushi is very sensible to ultraviolet rays. It states that constant humidity is perfect for lacquer but that change in humidity is bad. What do you think will happen to a lacquerware which has been kept for centuries with a 60% humidity, arriving in a Western country and kept at a constant 30% humidity.

There is a paragraph in this article which could interest Ken Hawaï :)

Once again, it will be interesting to have the opinion of lacquerware collectors

I've never had that type of infestation, Jean, but know two other collectors who have. Our big problem out here is termites, & this is the time of year they swarm. So all of our house geckos are climbing all over the walls (just out of reach of our cats), & chomping down termites as fast as they can. Thank goodness my katanadansu kiri wood must taste "foreign" to them!

The Bishop Museum is one of my clients, by the way, & the author of that article is a friend of mine.

Ken

Kronos,

That was a very interesting article on lacquer from the Bishop Museum. I saved a copy of it. Now I am afraid to leave any Japanese lacquer-ware (koshirae or stands) out on display in case they deteriorate from UV light.

In answer to Ben's question: My katana-kake is supposed to be late Edo period. It was up for auction on the Aoi Art website, but no one bid on it. This is a bit off topic, I know. I inquired about it immediately after the auction ended. Having only bought one other item from them, they agreed to a small discount. Every once in a while, something really nice pops up on their website. I would try not to get involved in a bidding war for something on their auction page, unless you really must have it. They have been most reliable to deal with, and they ship items promptly.

Alan

It is always smart and very respectful to maintain and preserve these works of art as they are when they arrive in our hands = even better to bring them back to what they were like when made. 

That said = does anyone think that a daimyo or samauri kept his blades and koshirae in separate storage with set humidity and temperature. Unlike porcelain and most paintings that were protected and displayed - these were pretty utilitarian weapons = don't suppose there is are lot of dishes from a tavern in the 1600' s left in one piece.

I am just remarking on the fact it is great we are probably much more concerned about restoring and keeping these nihonto as we received them OR better to a much higher standard than they were originally.

I hope the ghosts appreciate our efforts  :clap:  :clap:

Not to distract from Ken's question....I'm curious about this myself. I'm also wondering how the high dollar collections are stored. A katanadansu and an alarm system? I've wondered about getting a gun safe and laying it horizontal to properly maintain the edge up position (kantana) and also offer protection from fire/theft. Sound crazy?

I suppose the best way is a walk in vault and katanadansu for blades at least.

Ben M.

That said = does anyone think that a daimyo or samauri kept his blades and koshirae in separate storage with set humidity and temperature.

Basically yes. That's why there are katanabukuro, katanazutsu, katanadansu and even entire kura dedicated to the proper storage of nihontōSamurai and daimyō had of course no way to scientifically measure humidity, but they were aware of its adverse effects, therefore the pains they went through to protect their priced swords.

Katanakake were used to rest the swords (that they were wearing that day), not for displaying them per se. It would have been unthinkable to them to display their swords as a "collection", especially with the blades exposed. I even never saw this type of display at any contemporary Japanese collector's home.

Having said that, to each his own. If someone puts his blades and koshirae on a rack or shelves, more power to them. I'm not on a mission to preach the traditional Japanese approach. Heck, I even have some koshirae out in my Japanese room myself. However, I personally would feel uncomfortable displaying the "naked" blades.

Btw, shirasaya / aburasaya are a relatively new invention from the end of the Edo period, which should answer the question if swords were historically kept in them.

• Like 3

Wow, Guido! I was under the impression that shirasaya were made back around the end of Muromachi, but maybe what I was seeing were katanazutsu instead. The shape wasn't like a shirasaya, but they looked like the same nurizaya or hinoki wood. What caused shirasaya to be made instead?

Ken

To that point what was done before shirasaya were around - were the blades kept naked when out of the mounts?  

As to the idea of laying a gun safe on it's side, I don't know if it's good or bad for blades, but it does expose the weakest part of the safe to easy attack - knocking a gun safe on it's side or face and attacking the side or back is a common technique to defeat them.  Also, I'd be concerned about the lock working correctly, and also you'd either have a really hard to open or really hard to close door, depending on orientation.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..