Gap Between Habaki And Tsuka, What Can I Do?

Drago

Hi guys,

I bought a VERY interesting sword recently which I will share for discussion as soon as I manage to take some decent pictures.

The sword is mounted in a quasi-shirasaya (shakudo bands at fuchi and sayaguchi, kojiri and kashira are shakudo caps) It seems to be the original shirasaya but the blade has seen some polishes so a new habaki might have been made.

Now here's the question: Between the habaki and the tsuka there is a gap of about 2mm. What can I do here?

1. Mount a tsuba without seppa

2. Mount multiple seppa

3. add a piece of horn

4. add a piece of shirasaya wood

5. ???

I'm looking forward to your answers.

:thanks:

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening guys,

Here, as promised, the photos of my solution.

I bought some horn and drilled, filed and sanded it into shape. One photo shows the "seppa", the other one mounted on the sword and the third a photo against the light - beautiful pattern. :glee:

I never worked with horn before and I was quite surprised about how nice it is to work with. It can be worked precisely and without splintering if you're not stupid about it. Only thing I didn't like was the smell of powdered horn. The same disgusting smell of having your teeth drilled.  :sad:

photo.jpg

The current finish you see on the "seppa" is the result of 500 grain wet sandpaper. I don't have anything finer at the moment. And I'm not sure if I'll polish it anyway, the fittings aren't shiny either...

mounted.jpg

You might notice on the pic that it seems one side of the "seppa" is thicker than the other. That is really the case. The habaki and tsuka don't line up but I didn't want to modify those, so I made the piece slightely slanted.

light.jpg

I just couldn't get the camera to focus without shaking it while pressing the trigger. Sorry about that.

And one final comment: Goddamn I'm glad that worked out on the first try! :rotfl:

post-1287-0-01343700-1430258638_thumb.jpg

post-1287-0-27784600-1430258650_thumb.jpg

post-1287-0-62021200-1430258659_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..