Red Rust On Nakago - How To Treat (Covering Mei)

Good evening everyone ~

Haven't run into this problem before, but the nakago is thickly coated in red (active) rust and possibly was in a fire? Regardless, I can barely see the start of mei peeking out from underneath....my question is: how do I treat the red rust to prevent further damage, and is it "safe" to try soft brushes around the mei area to expose it?

Seems to me that if I let it continue it will simply dissolve the nakago, so why not try it? Suggestions welcome!!

Curtis R.

post-1674-0-12722000-1428205658_thumb.jpg

post-1674-0-60160100-1428205671_thumb.jpg

post-1674-0-60130300-1428205684_thumb.jpg

post-1674-0-07311800-1428205695_thumb.jpg

Curtis,

this does not look really bad to my eyes! I would not even call this 'covered with red rust', although there is some of it. The NAKAGO is intact, and a soft brush might already do the job. I even used a brass brush without doing any harm, although I had to wipe off some brass 'colouring' from the NAKAGO with oil and a rag.

Of course you might proceed more sensitively with a KAMAKURA period blade....   

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..