Rare Chosen (Korea) Colonial Administration High-Ranking Official Sword

Hello,

I noticed this rare sword on eBay. It was issued to high ranking Chosen (Korea) colonial administration officials, bearing the administrative title of sonnin kan, that is the civilian equivalent to Army superior officiers (major to colonel rank).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-WWII-Japanese-KyuGunto-Hand-Forged-Army-Officers-Dress-Parade-Sword-/301575485134

It is an interesting sword for the Imperial Japan militaria collector. Like all colonial swords, it looks like a Navy 1883 type dress sword, with the main difference being the side insigns on the backstrap. It bears the 5-7-5 kiri emblem, which was used (among other functions) as a symbol of the Chosen (Korea) colony after the annexation of Korea by Japan.

An interesting feature of this kind of sword is the similiarity between the floral motif on the guard and the one on the 1890 type sword for IJA Navy.

It is also interesting because it is held together by a menuki, whic is rare for this kind of sword. Therefore, it can be taken apart.

The seller is pretending that the blade was hand-forged, which I sincerely doubt since the hamon looks acid-etched.

Anyway, it is a very good piece and the seller obviously does not know what he is selling.

Cheers.

Thibault

Nakago doesn't look like a typical mass produced one?

Also has signs of having been polished at some point and has yasurime. Sure it isn't an etched but real hamon? Not saying it is, but doesn't look plated to me.

Brian

Nakago doesn't look like a typical mass produced one?

Also has signs of having been polished at some point and has yasurime. Sure it isn't an etched but real hamon? Not saying it is, but doesn't look plated to me.

Brian

I would consider it as an upper-end arsenal blade. Not mass-produced, but I do not think it was completely traditionally made. However, I am quite certain that it was not chrome or nickel-plated.

The hamon looks a lot like the one on one of my kyu gunto, which was acid-etched.

Those swords were for high ranking civil servants, so a real combat blade like on a Navy kyu gunto (either machine or traditionally made) would not be expected.

Anyway, it is a very rare sword in great shape and therefore a rather interesting piece for a militaria collection.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..