Nanban Tsuba

Fred Geyer

Wow..interesting one. Can we get a close up of the top left part where the object of the "cone" is directed?

Would appear to be a native, but no idea from where. Even the usual seppa dai decorations are unusually done. What is the other side like?

Brian

Dear Fred, this is Tekkai Sennin - An immortal who can breathe out his spirit to allow it to go on long trips.  Once he breathed out his spirit to allow it to visit his master on faraway Mount Hua.  When his spirit returned, someone had cremated his body and scattered the ashes, requiring him to inhabit another recently deceased body. Unfortunately, the only available body was of a lame beggar, so he is often depicted in Kodogu leaning on his walking staff and breathing his soul out (sometimes shown as a small figure or a cloud).

post-852-0-60296700-1427649651_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Terrific thread. Thanks Fred and George. My take away is that use of many motifs, techniques, and elements of "namban" style on a tsuba DOES NOT mean that everything on the guard is about foreigners. "Namban" was a style that went in many directions. It was the "Hello Kitty" of its era

Again, thanks

Peter

Dear Brian, the Tsuba example that I posted is signed Shomin and is from the Wrangham Collection (unfortunately, I don't own it...). Thanks for the kind words - I really enjoy trying to decipher the meaning of many of the motifs found on Kodogu. As you know, the Japanese have long loved puns and word play, and I believe that almost all of the motifs on better fittings have an intentional, but not always readily discernible, deeper meaning.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..