New Koshirae

Hans,

Thank you for clarifying. I do want to point out though that no-one was tearing apart any of your work at all. In fact, most comments were positive.

Not one person made a bad comment about the work.

Because some people here like to know if a restorer is recommended, they ask about his experience and if he is well known. Nothing wrong with doing your homework on an artist....in fact we insist that people check out someone who will be doing work for them.

Please re-read the comments, and you will see that they were all fair questions. I try and minimise this kind of public "interrogating" for the reasons mentioned, but I don't think you should see anything bad about any of the comments, and they are ones that anyone should be asking themselves before they send their sword to a stranger.

Doing koshirae without the sword is not ideal. I am sure you know that, and work with the resources you have. It is fair to make that point.

Otherwise, I am sure you will pick up some business from the promotion here. Remember that this is a valuable tool for craftsmen. The forum doesn't make any money either way. It is the service providers that should decide how to make use of the resource and who stand to gain.

Please look again. You will not find anyone's "joy torn" or anything "torn apart"

Would you like people to send their precious possessions to anyone that they find online without any background at all?

Brian

• Like 1

Hans-

Thank you for your reply.

Please keep in mind a few things that may explain some of the questions posted concerning this koshirae and your work:

1. There are many people claiming to be "craftsman" who are more or less self-taught and lack the deep knowledge of the craft that is usually only obtained through instruction by a master. While they may be highly dedicated and have great skill, they are unfamiliar with many of the finer points of the craft. When viewed by experts/professionals, these differences stand out. Many people lack the knowledge to determine these nuances themselves and that is where this forum comes in- to help those without this specialized knowledge appreciate the finer points. Most posters do so with tact. Some, not so much...

2. It isn't personal, it is business. Too many people have paid good money to people who act the part but do not have the training and knowledge to perform as they should. Undoubtedly you have heard yourself many tales of shoddy work, broken promises, and even outright criminal behavior from so-called "craftsman". As a result, there is suspicion, which is healthy in my mind, of those who do not make their training and education clear. Would you hire someone for an important job who wouldn't tell you anything about their education?

3. Non-Japanese doing traditional Japanese crafts always seem to have a tough time with acceptance of their work by other non-Japanese. So many times this is because these people do not have the proper training as mentioned above. Other times, they do, but stereotypes and biases tend to create a situation where they have to try harder and perform better just to gain acceptance. The life of a craftsman is never easy.

My advise is to make your background, training, and education clear- not to satisfy others, but first to honor your teachers and the craft. Secondly, because it reasonable and right to provide this to those who would pay for your services and entrust their prized possessions to your care. In the end, it is all about trust, and being upfront and honest about yourself is the first step.

By the way, I do not understand this sentence:

I got 入荷 in 66 NBTHK aswell as the 67

Do you mean 入選 nyusen (chosen for competition) at the NBTHK shinsaku contests?

In any case, I hope this helps in some way to explain what is behind many of the posts in this thread and is received in the spirit in which it was intended...

Best of luck with your craft- ganbatte!

• Like 1

Hi Chris

Yes i mean 入選 im sorry for misstake!

And yes i do understand what you mean, as you know it is all about just that self study. ( mostly)

Now you will have to exuse me, i cannot write more! There is no time, im sorry.

Have a good weekend and say hi to Paul from me!

Sincerly

Koga Hans

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that you are mostly self-taught? I know several koshirae builders who are mostly self-taught and I have no issue with that but think it is important to make this clear if asked...Thanks for the clarification.

I will be in Japan for a few months this summer. Maybe I will be lucky enough to see some of your work....

Best of luck to you...

PS- Who is Paul???

• Like 2

Hi Chris

I am saying i have a teacher in Tsukamae, wich i do not feel neither right or good writing of, in a forum like this it is wrong! Especially this forum!

When it comes to saya i am self taught thru study here in Japan, as you know it is a life study, constantly

Im happy for you please enjoy your trip!

Sincerly

/Koga Hans