New Koshirae

Although it's taken a while, I received the koshirae for my Aikihiro katana made by Hans Koga in Chiba, Japan. I provided the f/k and tsuba as well as the hibaki and he made the rest. IMHO, it came out very beautifully and feels amazing. The saya is done by hand in ishimeji (wood grain or like tree bark) pattern, and the horn koiguchi and kojiri both shaped and fitted, and the tsuka done with a full-wrap same and new shitaji cut and shaped. The ito is mid-grade silk.

I'm not forcing the blade in and am letting all of the parts "get to know each other", but the fit really nicely! Also included were hand-sewn bags for shirasaya and koshirae from old, very pretty kimono obi. I can say that dealing with this was a bit of a process, having not sent the blade to Japan but he nailed it for fit and was a true pleasure to deal with.

Curtis R.

post-1674-0-22475400-1427239832_thumb.jpg

post-1674-0-82417800-1427239841_thumb.jpg

post-1674-0-81719300-1427239850_thumb.jpg

post-1674-0-60853900-1427239867_thumb.jpg

post-1674-0-86791900-1427239889_thumb.jpg

post-1674-0-42875000-1427239920_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing this, Curtis. I have two blades that I've been pondering getting fitted with koshirae, but have hesitated due to prior problems with shipping. So the fact that you were able to get a good fit without sending your blade makes me feel a lot better about doing the same myself.

Ken

Sorry for being a party pooper, but I, too, think that the tsuba is a little to small, looks like wakizashi size. It might be difficult - but certainly not impossible - to find a larger one with the same thickness. Plugging the hitsu-ana is another option, but probably not a good investment.

I also don't think the blade will somehow fit into the saya magically after the parts "got to know each other". If the habaki fits into the saya without the sword, the inside of the saya has to be reworked. Not an easy task.

I don't know Mr. Koga, but if I was a koshirae-shi, I would think long and hard about accepting a job like this without the blade in hand to properly fit the koshirae; it's a hit or miss situation, and can easly do harm to one's reputation.

Ishime, btw, means stone surface.

• Like 2

Often a new shirasaya/koshiare will not allow the complete insertion of the sword because the wood is slightly swollen due to the (higher) humidity in Japan. Once it dries a bit and acclimates to the local (lower) humidity, it may well fit fine. This can be observed in areas of high summer humidity, low winter humidity as well- sometimes in summer a sword will not fit all the way but will in winter.

So MAYBE the sword will fit once the wood acclimates.

As has been noted, building a koshirae without the blade in hand is a BAD idea.

Chris, the seppa cover a bit of the hitsuana...it's gendai and is actually larger than it looks, as is the tsuba - it's very nce construction from iron, and although I haven't cut down the seppa, it still has a nice feel. I agree that I should probably fit the seppa properly.

For Guido and Steve, correct - I did not send the blade to Japan - the wood for the saya was sent to a wood craftsman here in the US (who I DID send the blade to), who cut the space for nakago and the dimensions and fit for the blade in the saya. Might seem like a bit of a long process but it was much easier than sending the blade to Japan! And Chris is absolutely right...it's the change in humidity that it's adjusting to - it will of course fit flush now but needs a bit of time to have the RIGHT fit to be drawn smoothly, yet not to rattle or be loose at koiguchi. It'll be just right very soon. And Ken, yes - it was very easy customs-wise to send back and forth...as long as there's no blade. Oh - forgot to mebntion that he also carved a woodent "insert blade" (can't recall the term) for the hoshirae which kept everything connected during shipping.

One very important part of the process is to have the Tsuka and saya fitted very well before traveling on to Japan for finish. I was a little hesitant/skeptical also, but the proof is in the holding and examination  :) . I can tell you that after using chinese blades for Iai, I wouldn't hesitate to use this sword --- not for tamishigiri of sourse but for kata, certainly! Mr. Koga can be found on facebook under "koga-bijutsu".

Curtis R.

I re-examined the seppa and it is only perhaps 2mm larger than it should be Alex - and thank you for the warning. The seppa - also - is only slightly larger on one hitsuana, and not both, which should make fitting it a snap.

Yes Jamie - that's it!! :rotfl:  When I was writing the post I couldn't recall for the life of me. I will attach a photo alter this evening, as well as a few more photos.

As for the price of the entire koshirae, SAS ~~~ it was not inexpensive but absolutely worth it. To be polite in my answer (value is different to each is my point here...) I will say it was less than half of the price I pair for the blade itself, which was a bargain to begin with. IMHO, with a beautiful koshirae the monetary value of the blade goes up from my understanding. I will also confess that Koga-san has an amazing eye for balance, history and beauty and made several suggestions/improvements that I'd NEVER have thought of. And he was correct :) :) . I can elaborate if you'd like, but I can assure you it wasn't to "up-sell".

Curtis R.

Sorry for being a party pooper, but I, too, think that the tsuba is a little to small, looks like wakizashi size. It might be difficult - but certainly not impossible - to find a larger one with the same thickness. Plugging the hitsu-ana is another option, but probably not a good investment.

I also don't think the blade will somehow fit into the saya magically after the parts "got to know each other". If the habaki fits into the saya without the sword, the inside of the saya has to be reworked. Not an easy task.

I don't know Mr. Koga, but if I was a koshirae-shi, I would think long and hard about accepting a job like this without the blade in hand to properly fit the koshirae; it's a hit or miss situation, and can easly do harm to one's reputation.

Ishime, btw, means stone surface.

Guido Schiller.

No such thing as a party pooper.

Ishimeji would be the most correct way to say stone pattern in Japanese, but Ishime is sometimes used. ( not wrong )

Both of them are right but Ishimeji (石目地) would be more thural refering to ground pattern like stone.

Sincerly Koga

I will also confess that Koga-san has an amazing eye for balance, history and beauty and made several suggestions/improvements that I'd NEVER have thought of. And he was correct  :)  :) . I can elaborate if you'd like, but I can assure you it wasn't to "up-sell".

Hi Curtis,

Nice Koshirae.. I really enjoy seeing nice koshirae and would be interested to hear the suggestions made for this koshirae. My first thoughts were that it was modelled on a Higo Koshirae..

Barrie.

• Like 1

If you are not comfortable stating the cost in public, please PM me….the reason I ask is that i just bought a nice wakizashi Aizu Kawachi Diajo Kunisada from Ed and I will be looking for koshirae and yours is very nice. Steve

Hi SAS

Well its very ok for me, yet what kind of Koshirae are you interested in?. Such as colors theems and, what fittings do you have!?

Normal koshirae very standard but highgradematerials is about 150 000¥ but this cost is rarely same.

Thank you for enjoying my work

Sincerly

/Koga

Ah, here (above) is Koga-san...SAS, please coordinate with him. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with a great plan :) . As for the suggestions made, he helped me pick the finish and look of saya, as well as picking a much better pair (more beautiful and fitting the theme) of menuki than those I'd sent along. Also the style of wrap, since the sword would actually be used for Iai and not just presentation. He also hand-carved the shitagi (sp?) core the the tsuka to fit the f/k and yet be balanced with the rest of the koshirae for practice, but that also feels like it's alive.

Curtis R.

He is on the board here (2 above this one / Koga Hansuke) - I'm sure he'd be fine if you message him and ask....

Curtis R.

Thank you Curtis but why does it have to be in a private message? Students should be proud of their teachers no?

• Like 1

Hi Lotus -

Just a reminder to sign all of your posts :glee: ....

And to continue, I haven't given the info. because I can't remember his Sensei's name - he can, but I cannot. I spoke with him last night and he was up all night finishing an order for a sword shop he works closely with...that I DO know. He's "an animal" when it comes to work - it is his full time (and more) occupation. I suggested a private message out of politeness to HIM, not to hide something as I think you're implying. Do you feel that the koshirae above (mine :) ) are lacking somehow? If so, please let's discuss it! That's why we're here, right? I will mention to Koga-san that you'd like to know who he's trained by and with though (and then I'll write it down so I remember ;-) ). I will state this very openly though; Hans-san and I have become friends for many reasons beyond the sword world during the time he spent making my koshirae, but I do not have any financial interest in his business or for promoting his work. I just know that finding a good - and truly reasonably priced - artisan can be difficult and so I've shared my experience here. He was referred to me by another board-member here who also does beautiful work (Jeffery Ching). Perhaps this will clear matters: I know MY Senseis names but Hans does not remember, I'd bet :beer: :beer: :beer:  on that lol.

That's what I truly love about the NMB - it's a free exchange of info. and a place of learning. And I've "met" some great folks here. Bonus! :thumbsup:

Curtis R.

Ray,

If you have questions, please take them to pm. This is not the Spanish Inquisition. If you have concerns, then state them but I am pretty sure there is nothing much to add here.

Brian

• Like 1

2 things.

1) My posts are signed. Not sure why they appear as not.

2) I am not sure what the big deal is? Its a public forum so I asked a question. Perhaps even as a potential customer. As a potential customer I would be curious has to who taught said expert the craft. 

One more thing...

3) Why is everyone answering except the person who the question was directed too?

Kinda weird to me...But sure. I'll leave it alone and take my money somewhere else.

• Like 2

3) Why is everyone answering except the person who the question was directed too?

Kinda weird to me...But sure. I'll leave it alone and take my money somewhere else.

Well, that's the easy one to answer. For the same reason that most craftsmen and dealers refuse to participate on ANY online discussions anywhere. The fact that they get picked apart and interrogated to the point that there is no benefit to participating. I have been told this by many qualified and unqualified artists both in the West and the East.

There are very few fully qualified restorers out there. A tiny handful that are accessible without paying high broker fees through a third party go-between. And they are not going to sit and answer online questions. Then there are the others...maybe not traditionally trained. And some do an ok job, and some don't.

Do your research and speak to the person himself. Ask around. We are not here to babysit and advise who to deal with an who not to. I have saved correspondence criticizing just about every "highly recommended" restorer ever mentioned here. Everyone has their own opinions.

Fine with expressing them, but don't expect cut and dried answers and don't expect people to take the bait when being asked leading questions. This hobby is a minefield. Dealers can be sharks. Brokers can be devious. Customers can be demanding. Not really any different to life in general I guess. The only weapon you have is your own research and the fact that you can do exactly what you mentioned...."take your money elsewhere"

Brian

• Like 1

I don’t see any baiting, and especially no inquisition, but a perfectly legitimate question, which has been asked and answered many times on this forum. Most traditional Japanese craftsmen make a point of naming their teacher when introducing themselves, for a variety of reasons. As do foreigners trained in Japan, like Ford Hallam and Andrew Ickeringill, to name but two.

In any case, here’s Mr. Koga’s own answer (well, kind of):

post-12-0-12515700-1428053102_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'll let Hans answer himself to all the questions pointed at him.

However I'm not sure if you guys know that he won a nyusen award in 66th craftsman competition in tsukamaki series. Look for コが ハンス in nyusen category of tsukamaki.

http://www.touken.or.jp/pdf/66kenma_nyusyou.pdf

I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of that award paper of his somewhere online. If this information I posted is incorrect I'm sure Hans or someone else that knows better will correct me. I've never met him personally but I've seen his work at NBTHK meetings and to my eye it's very good.

• Like 1

Hi everybody here discussing well me!?

First of all i would like to understand the acurance of it? Its about geografi, because if i lived in poland or Ukraine or anywhere else nobody would care.

I will not write a long reply to this, because i am the one who will meet my customer in two days when he checks my work with hes magnifier glas, neither of you would probably care less of it, but i do, and my family do yet here i am taking my time to reply to something i havnt even been adressed to answer in person?

So yes i have a teacher in Japan wich i am extremly proud of, but to state hes name into a kindergarten so all hobby entusiast can discuss him aswell! Forgett that!

This is all about hobby and interest in the Japanese sword, how about keeping it so, with a gentle tone, a kind mind to each each other? knowledge, because its a wast and difficult area due to the language of Japanese!

I got 入荷 in 66 NBTHK aswell as the 67, this year will see, its my only time i get to meet the craftsmen of Japan and interact.

Im very sad to see that a kind man as Curt happily uploads picture of what he has been waiting for gets torn apart by people for what? Knowledge, fun!?

Im guessing you act different inside the gates of a Katana shop.

I work for a few shops in Japan, they their old craftsman was laid of because my quality was more suitable for them. So what!

This is my life, if you have any questions about work beeing done you are welcome, i basically sell my soul to make my customer content!

My work is not up for discussion unless it is evaluated and viewed then it is open to have points on.

I go to bed every day thinking of shapes and colors of koshirae, i mostly work thru the nights, and days. The reading and study aswell as travels for meetings is ongoing constantly.

What is the reasons for the questions? In what trailerpark is my personal information needed?

What is the purpose of tearing peoples joy!?

To be a student of the Japanese ways towards the sword or its craft it is needed a large portion of humble and respect to be able to absorbe knowledge.

It is sakura season now!

its beautiful i find my knowledge in what grows, whats beautiful, it is the old way of making beautiful crafts. If im lucky i can grasp it and apply it in my work, theese kind of letters make nothing but rotten logs. I choose the beauty!

Thank you thoose of you who like my work!

I hope i havnt offended anyone, but Craftsmen are not famous for beeing well speaking!

Sincerly

Koga Hans

• Like 4