Masamune Book Out Now

• 3 weeks later...

Darcy,

Not sure why you say that. Copy anything as you usually do, and then you have 3 boxes to choose from in the formatting section. Paste, paste as plain text or paste from word.

Use one of those..easy. Otherwise, do as i do and just ctrl+v to paste it in. Not too difficult.

The one thing to remember is that it will copy formatting, so paste will act like word does...copy any formatting/background etc unless you use the "plain text" option.

Regular right click and paste is deliberately excluded from most forum software nowdays due to some security issues it can present.

Brian

Copy/paste retaining formatting is (putting on my programmer hat) a brain dead feature on the part of software authors.

Whatever my context is that I'm writing in, is different from the source context, so by default it shouldn't retain formatting from the source context. Otherwise people end up being forced to redo formatting all the time after a paste operation or else search out a special function to paste with no formatting.

Inside the context of a spreadsheet or within a single document it's a different issue. If inside the same context software should default to preserving the formatting (in most cases, depends on the context again). But cross-context it's just a bad idea and makes a mess. This is what I'm referring to.

I've been pasting since 1988 and only in 2014-2015 suddenly the new generation of programmers thinks that carrying formats around is awesome. It's very hard to undo typing reflexes this old and start poking around through menus to do stuff. Once pasted then it's, grrrr, frickin formats, and undo it. Irritating.

Copy/paste retaining formatting is (putting on my programmer hat) a brain dead feature on the part of software authors.

Whatever my context is that I'm writing in, is different from the source context, so by default it shouldn't retain formatting from the source context. Otherwise people end up being forced to redo formatting all the time after a paste operation or else search out a special function to paste with no formatting.

Inside the context of a spreadsheet or within a single document it's a different issue. If inside the same context software should default to preserving the formatting (in most cases, depends on the context again). But cross-context it's just a bad idea and makes a mess. This is what I'm referring to.

I've been pasting since 1988 and only in 2014-2015 suddenly the new generation of programmers thinks that carrying formats around is awesome. It's very hard to undo typing reflexes this old and start poking around through menus to do stuff. Once pasted then it's, grrrr, frickin formats, and undo it. Irritating.

It's actually a good feature although shouldn't be the default. Luckily there's both a "remove formatting" option as well as being able to change the default paste option in both this forum and every software I've used with this feature. It may be a little annoying to change an option before every post you make that has extreme use of copy/paste, but it's extremely useful when you need to retain formatting which in certain circumstances can save you hours of formatting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..