Chicago Sword Show 4/24-26 2015 Midwest Token Kai

The Chicago Sword Show is getting close. For those planning to attend here is an update:

The show should be very busy this year. Tables are sold out (if you need a table email me, I have a waiting list). There are a lot more hotel reservations than last year. There will be dealers from Japan, Europe, and USA in attendance looking for items. There is usually one or more Juyo discovered at the show so come and join the hunt.

The hotel is getting full, if you plan to stay at the Hyatt make reservations. The room block is oversold and at present they are out of 2DBLE rooms, there are a few KING rooms left (the hotel has rollways available). If you call the hotel at 800-233-1234 say you are with "Token Kai" to get the discount rate of $109. To reserve online here is a link

https://aws.passkey.com/event/11646749/owner/4631/home

For more information you can email me or check the website http://www.chicagoswordshow.com/

I understand the Shinsa is filling up but there are presently openings, please contact Tom Helm to arrange spots

http://www.toryu-mon.com/Toryu-Mon/NTHK_Shinsa_Registration.html

Should be a fun time, a lot of NMB members will be in attendance

See you there!

post-79-0-63972300-1426253329_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I will be there, 1st table inside the door (it helps to share tables with The Big Kahuna).  Since I drive to the Chicago show I can bring books.  If there is anything on my site you'd like to see and maybe even purchase and not have to pay post on, let me know.

Grey

• 3 weeks later...

The show is now less than a month away. There will be buyers from Japan and Europe at the show (as well as all our North American collectors and dealers looking for treasures). There will be a number of dealers set up for this show who have not been at the show before so new merchandise and a couple or dealers from the "olden days" who have not set up at any shows in years are coming so maybe some neat items new to the market.

If you are on the fence about coming I hope you will join us.

• Like 1

I'd urge any new collector to go to the show if you can make it. What you will see is priceless to your education. This can't be stressed enough. More swords in one place than you will see in any other place in the U.S.

It's just too educational to be missed.

• Like 1

Pete would be my choice for coming in caricature for walking dead.

edit: that is, not one from the group, but zombie.

TWD is a very good show, I'm sad that last week was the season finale...

Ontpic: I'm going to have to make the trip across the pond one of these days as has been said there's no comparison to seeing a lot of swords in hand. I'm looking forward to many pictures :thumbsup:

All-

timeslots have been schedulled for all three days, and confirmations were sent out via email yesterday. If you did not get a confirmation for shinsa please let me know.

There are still openings in the afternoon hours but online registration closes on the 15th of this month so if you have not registered now is the time to do so. Thanks to our many returning customers and to the many new collectors we look forward to meeting in Chicago,

-t

April is turning out to be full so I have pulled out the blades I'll be bringing to Chicago: two gendai blades, including a nice Nagamitsu, a kaigunto dress sword,  a nice signed Mino koto tanto, a gotta-be Kamakura Hoko, a set of Soten fuchi-kashira, 5 signed shinto shoto and a raft of tsuba. I'll keep digging and I hope everybody else will getting out their Sendai shinto and Ainu blades!

Looking forawrd to seeing the crew!

Peter

In case anyone is making very late plans to attend please note: the show rate at the hotel should have expired 3/30. I was able to get them to extend the show discount a little longer but you can no longer book on line the link has expired. If you want to try and book a room you can do it by phone, call 402-593-5130 and tell them you are with the "Token Kai" group. There are only a few King rooms left and they may fill up or discontinue the show rate at any time but it is worth a try if you are making last minute plans.

See you there!

"The taxman cometh!"

All-

We are closing online registrations today FOR THE SHINSA, any checks received after Friday will not be processed as we will be en route to Chicago.If you havent sent in your reservations as yet, we ask that you please come see us at the show. We still have slots left and if you come see me on Friday we will work you into the schedule. Keep in mind all transactions are cash only on the day of the Shinsa.

Looking forward to seeing you all there,

-t

I'm really excited for this year's show!  See you all in a few days.  I'll be the goofy looking idiot combing for, of all things, gendai work (what a moron!).

Thats fine, ill be the goofier looking rookie with a couple beat up blades hoping for a better opinions on what to do!

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/15983-newly-acquired-signed-katana/

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/16139-restoring-a-katana-and-wakisashi/

Sharpen your kantei skills!

Each year the NBTHK (AB) provides a great educational exhibition at the show. In the past there has been in hand blade and fittings kantei. I am sure this year Mike Yamasaki and the NBTHK (AB) has something great planned.  But additionally I hear there will be something extra special.  In addition to the usual program Mr. Bob Benson is bringing a "mystery blade". At present it does not have any paper. Mr. Benson discussed it with Mr. Tanobe and plans to submit it for shinsa later this summer but it was decided to bring it to Chicago. It will be displayed for any who wish to submit their opinion. When the blade is submitted the person who is the closest will receive a nice prize generously donated by Mr. Tanobe.  Make sure you plan to attend the NBTHK program, it is usually Saturday afternoon.

Now that sounds both challenging and exciting, Mark. Since there is no "answer" immediately available, we can relax and have no fear that our heads will fall off if our kantei is way off accuracy! The best part of today's sword shows is taking advantage of the wonderful items set out for our study by NBTHK-American and generous dealers like Bob, Mike and others.

I will have my usual table (even if I'm seldom attending it) and will have a few swords of fittings of interest set out for sale along with a few show & tell items. Joe mentioned wanting gendai; I will have a gendai katana by Sa Nobuhide, the same maker of my rather rare gendai naginata that some of you have seen. Raising funds and decided to see if I can do so with the katana. Nice blade.

Ron STL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..