Nihonto Oil - A Study

Just completed 24 hrs on test 2. 

Control was rusted.  Hoppe's, Singer machine oil, Tuf-glide, and 3-in-1 oil all are very discolored.

Choji oil, M-pro 7 had mild discoloration.

Eezox, Rem oil, CLP, and Collector had no visible change.

After comparing both tests at 24 hrs, the only significant difference was that tuf-glide may have more discoloration than before.

Pictures to come...

I have pure essential clove oil. not sure what the tannins may do to the blade so I never tried it.

I don't have a source for this but I think I remember reading somewhere on the board in the past that this should absolutely not be used for sword care. Maybe someone more experienced can back me up. Isn't standard choji only 1-3% clove oil with the balance mineral oil?

If you really like the smell of cloves you can add it to the oil but it really doesnt do anything other than scent the oil.

Clove oil has antimicrobial and antifungal uses (besides it being a natural analgaesic and antiseptic used primarily in dentistry for its main ingredient Eugenol). It can be used for acne, warts, scars and parasites. Laboratory research published in 2009 demonstrated that it exhibits significant activity against Propionibacterium acnes, the major skin bacterium causing acne.

Although I'm not too concerned that my swords will develop acne ;-) , the antifungal property might be a real plus to prevent mold in the saya.

• Like 2

I was the Napier agent for a while. Great stuff. I still use their field patches on my swords occasionally with good success.

But since I get no rust with any of the various oils I use..hard to say what is better than what. Napier is good stuff though.

Brian

Still looking for a source for Fujishiro Oil for follow-up tests.  I have messaged Paul several times, but it doesn't appear to be working.  Anyone else have a source? (prefer English-speaking....)

The Japanese dealers that I have contacted sell Choji oil, but not Fujishiro's.  I have samples of the two main types that they sell. 

I am also looking for a beyond-repair donor nihonto for more realistic testing.  I would like to keep costs low, as this is just for knowledge-sake.  I would pay for shipping or meet up at the Chicago show.

I plan on testing both versions of Choji oil that Japanese dealers seem to use, Fujishiro oil. mineral oil, camellia oil, choiji oil from ebay, and a machine oil from Japan..... hopefully on a broken section of a sword.

If anyone has information on either, please let me know!

Hi Derek,I had been looking for Uchiko Powder and some Fujishiro oil for a long time and tracked down what I think is Fujishiros site  but I am not 100% as I can not read Japanese and Google was not much help :) http://www.nihontou.net/hanbai.htm
But the order form is in Japanese so we need Chris or one of the Japanese speakers to see if they ship outside Japan and how to order. Hope this helps :)

PS I have tried the link (not working) but when I cut and paste it works but not if you click the link ?  (link fixed - Admin)

I would be happy to but first, you need to get confirmation from Fujishiro san that he will 1) ship internationally and 2) make payment arrangements.

Please remember that shipping this will probably cost more than the oil. Also keep in mind that to send money to Japan by bank wire will cost many times more than the product. If he will take postal money orders that will lessen the fees considerably but not all countries have postal money orders with Japan- does Australia? He may not want to hassle with postal money orders as well.

How many want to spend $60-$70 for $5 worth of oil?

If someone wants to organize a group buy, say at least 10 or more large bottles, send me the funds (to include postage), I can get them from Fujishiro san when I am in Japan this summer and mail them back to the organizer to distribute.

Thank you for your ideas.  I have a few emails out to Paul and one to Fujishiro-San.  If I don't hear from either of them this week, I will try an alternative method.

I hesitate to purchase a large amount, as my whole intent here is to test different types of oil.  Is there really anything special in Fujishiro's oil?  Or is just choji oil in his own container?

I don't want to invest several hundred dollars, just to test it and find that it works the same as $5 oil......

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..