Type 25 Nco Cavalry Sword On Ebay

Hello,

I just noticed this Type 25 NCO cavalry sword on eBay. It is an uncommon sword and I do not have my referrence material on hand at the moment so I have no opinion on its authenticity, I just wanted to signal it for anyone looking for such a sword.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-NCO-saber-WWII-Rare-/181681325424?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4d0d0570

Personally, I am looking for a Type 19 cavalry officer sword (either company or field grade). If anyone has one for sale or know someone who does, I would be interested.

Iv got one,

I will try and get some pics soon, after the week end as its the gun show in south Australia.

its a company grade, 2 handed Kyu gunto, taisho period blade gendai with muji hada and granome hamon, over 26 inch nagasa with bo hi, it has a triple set of seppa, the largest are shakudo foil over copper (rare)

in good condition with some battle damage to the saya. it still has its original 2nd hanger and silver mon on the handle.

please let me know if your interested.

regards Hamish

Iv got one,

I will try and get some pics soon, after the week end as its the gun show in south Australia.

its a company grade, 2 handed Kyu gunto, taisho period blade, over 26 inch nagasa with bo hi,

in good condition with some battle damage to the saya. it still has its original 2nd hanger and silver mon on the handle.

please let me know if your interested.

regards Hamish

Thanks for your quick answer. The pictures and price will define the intensity of my interest! :)

Hi Thibault,

its a regular (company Grade), the price is floating around $1500 AUD, which is $1152 USD. I will try and post pics tomorrow night.

kind regards Hamish

Hello Hamish,

I already have a two-handed army company grade kyu gunto with two suspension rings.

What I am looking for is the cavalry officer type 19 gunto, which has a specific handle (see attached picture, more visible than the previous one I posted (please click to zoom):

post-3192-0-85432400-1426166681_thumb.gif

Like the regular army kyu gunto, it can be either one or two-handed and the backstrap flourish is similar. The main differences are with the pommel and knuckle bow.

• 1 year later...

Hello Johnny...

I don't understand a little thing about these ...

But these officers' cavalry swords, at the beginning, was enacted as "dress/parade swords" (normally plated and not edged but sometimes adapted as "combat swords" with edged blades) or what else ?

Many thanks.

Dan

Hello Dan,

The Type 19 cavalry officer sword is the cavalry cousin to the "Meiji era kyu gunto family" officer swords. As such, there is a combat version with a real blade and assembled by mekugi, and a dress version with a chromium plated blade assembled by bolt. The fact is that, due to the small number of cavalry régiments during the Meiji era, this sword is very rare, although the dress version appears slightly more common than the combat version. It is rarer than the Navy kyu gunto.

According to Fuller and Gregory, the dress version appeared a bit later than the combat version.

I should also be mentioned that some cavalry officers, among whom General Akiyama, favoured dress swords or the arsenal-produced type 32 NCO cavalry sword over the traditionally made but more delicate Type 19 cavalry officer sword. The Type 32 sword was very robust and popular for this reason: it was produced from 1899 to 1945. Therefore, there were only a few cavalry officers to start with, and some of them did not use the sword prescribed for their rank, which makes the said sword even rarer.

I like this sword because it is harmonious: the Army and Navy kyu gunto have pommels without floral motif. On the cavalry sword, the pommel is rounded and flows from the back strap: the floral motif is uninterrupted and curves around the pommel, which is very nice.

Although the Navy kyu gunto, with its remarkable scabbard and precious mountings, is the most beautiful Meiji era sword, the Type 19 cavalry officer sword is very elegant.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..