Kata Kiri Ha Zukuri Wakizashi

boydie4207

Hi guys I've picked up this wakizashi a while back and am wondering if it's normal to have two hamon on the different sides on is wild midare and the other is almost no existent suguha hamon the blade has itame hada I believe it's seen a few polishes the shinogi zukuri side is almost rounded the kissaki is fine and has not been shortened I believe any help with this one would be very much appreciated sorry for the bad pictures need to get myself a decent camera :)

Regards

Robert Boyd

Nagasa 44cm

Mihaba 4cm

Sori 1.5cm

Kasane 0.7cm

post-2335-0-56388500-1425560437_thumb.jpg

post-2335-0-97451600-1425560480_thumb.jpg

post-2335-0-90228200-1425560778_thumb.jpg

post-2335-0-01512800-1425560817_thumb.jpg

post-2335-0-54386100-1425560886_thumb.jpg

post-2335-0-52749100-1425560971_thumb.jpg

Robert -

The pictures don't help a lot, I know it is hard to capture jigane in a photo, these are a little too fuzzy. Since you are asking for opinions, I would posit Shinshinto based on the dimensions, what little jigane we can see and the condition of the the nakago. There was a lot of experimentation with shapes and styles in the late Edo period as a result of Suishinshi Masahide's call to revive the swords of old. Beyond this I could not begin to guess where it might have been made without better photos.

A not so common shape so a very cool find in my book,

-t

I agree with Tom regarding the photos, but from the rather rough and open hada, the condition of the nakago and the rounding of the edges of the mekugi-ana, I would be tempted to think it is earlier than shinshinto...

Can you take some photos of the blade from the mune/top side at the mune-machi? If the blade is older, it has probably been polished a number of times and this may be apparent by a reduction in thickness of the blade at the mune-machi....

That nakago is badly pitted in places the mune is flat also seems to have been forged that way rather than polished down through the years there are some scooped cuts in the back edge so most likely seen action of some sort the tsuka was really badly damaged and had no it the samegawa was badly damaged also maybe that's hasn't helped the nakago damage

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..