Inscription On Blade Of Knife

hso

Gentlemen, 

An older friend of mine has this nice condition knife and I was hoping for a translation of the blade markings and any other information you might lend.

Thank you in advance.

post-3191-0-46101200-1425520160_thumb.jpg

post-3191-0-86646200-1425520176_thumb.jpg

Usually engravings are referred to as Horimono. In this case there may not be a translation.

I believe this blade is not of Japanese origin. It's more than likely a Chinese copy or tourist piece. The tang (nakago) looks to be rather crude. I don't mean that badly, but usually Japanese Tanto will have a better finished Nakago.

I hope this helps.

If it is real, then it is one of the wartime or post war souvenir or utility tantos that are not traditionally made, and not of any great quality.
Some have mentioned knives like this being sold from shrines as souvenirs, and WW2 soldiers often carried a utility knife in wooden shirasaya with a nakago like that.

Either way, it isn't a hand forged and folded Japanese tanto. The bonji would be a Buddhist symbol. Could also be a fake as Jamie pointed out.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..