What Are The Importing Taxes/vat In Your Country

USA

as I understand it there is no import duty/tax on Antiques. In my experience if the item(s) is send using USPS (like EMS) there is no cost but if the item is send through other carriers they do charge import duty and when I have had that happen and complain I find it costs more to dispute than the charge I have to pay.

Germany:

- No Import duties (but you have to prove that the item is over 100 years old)

- VAT: 19% + 17,5 % taxes on the shipping costs

And now it get´s a bit difficult :laughing:!

If you can´t (or you are just not willing to) prove that the item is over 100 years old, you have to pay additional 1,7% (customs tariff number: 93070000 Säbel, Lanzen, Teile hiervon...) of the Price of the item as custom duties.

That is one method, the other is Kind of flat-rate-based and a bit easier (for the customs officer to calculate), but generally you have to pay more because the whole package is taxed with 17,5%.

Regards,

post-2703-0-20225000-1425394783_thumb.jpg

Norway,

On antiques of more than 100 yrs old, value is reduced to 20% of the original purchase value before calculating VAT from the remaining amount.

VAT is 25%.

So in reality that is what, 5 % of original purchase plus any import related fees from FedEx or similar?

• Like 1

Germany:

If you can proof, that the pieces are of high ethonlogical value (e.g. with a NBTHK paper) you sometimes - depending on the customs officer - have to pay 7% VAT/EUSt in total only.

But that's gambling and you're not skilled like Ichi in the Chō-Han game... 8)

Regards

Andi

In Canada, antiques over 100 years are exempt from duty.

One still has to pay 5% GST (goods and services tax). However, depending upon which province you reside in, you may have to pay additional provincial sales taxes (or RST, retail sales tax). In Ontario for example, they have a Harmonized Sales Tax which is the GST 5% + RST 8% (for a total of 13%).

I reside in Alberta where there is still no provincial sales tax, so I only have to pay the 5% GST.

Alan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..