Shout Out To Chris Bowen And Enomoto Sadahito

GrantK

Just about a year ago I contacted Mr. Chris Bowen about a potential project to have a tanto made for me and my family. I wanted a blade in the Gassan tradition to study their ayasugi hada and Chris was able to set everything up with Enomoto Sadahito in Japan. The projection was one year and Chris updated me with the progression as the blade went from the initial forging to shirasaya and then to final polish. I didn't get any pictures  :cry: but in the end that really added to all the suspense :thumbsup: . The tanto for me, came out perfect, a very imposing size and shape but the ayasugi itself was very subtle and subdued - and gives a very serene feeling while enjoying it.

Even with a address flub on my part Chris called his postmaster and sorted everything out for me. If anyone is looking to get a new sword done I can say that Chris is an extremely stand up guy (though evident through the help he gives on this forum) and the service he provides is evident. I don't post that often but Chris really goes above and beyond and the quality of work produced by Enomoto Sadahito is amazing! 

My photography kinda sucks :3

post-2030-0-18054700-1424834392_thumb.jpg

post-2030-0-52750800-1424834415_thumb.jpg

post-2030-0-91871500-1424834449_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Grant,

That is quite a beautiful tanto! I am a huge fan of the Enomoto family and their work. I own two wakizashi, one by Tadahito and one by Tadiyoshi, they feel so good in hand. I recently had my Enomoto Katana mounted, some of the members here are familiar with it due to to the massive O'kissaki. I will be posting photos to NMB in the next week.. I am happy to see you enjoy their work as much as I have.

Art Torano

• Like 1

I ordered many swords from Tatsuyoshi before his untimely death and was always thrilled with the quality of his workmanship. He made many excellent swords.

Sadahito's work is good but he has been making some really impressive pieces of late. This tanto, with it's organic, understated ayasugi hada, is one of my favorites and I have seen a lot of his work....You really scored Grant!

• Like 1

Hi Grant K.,

Very nice tanto! Sorry about coming across as such as ass. I must be more then a bit envious of such a nice tanto.

Chris Bowen any good references for Enomoto Sadahito? Does he often work in the Gassan School? If it has been covered before I not sure as I can't find the search function on mobile version of the new NMB. Thanks for the help.

Enomoto Sadahito was trained by his father, the former mukansa smith Enomoto Sadayoshi. Sadayoshi was a live in student of Gassan Sadakatsu and made many daisaku for Sadakatsu.

Thus, yes, Sadahito works in the Gassan tradition, as well as the Soshu den. You can find more info about him in Tsuchiko san's excellent book, "The New Generation of Japanese Swordsmiths".

If you have any questions about him or his work, let me know. I know him very well - he and his wife were actually the legal witnesses for my marriage :thumbsup: ....

Thus, yes, Sadahito works in the Gassan tradition, as well as the Soshu den. You can find more info about him in Tsuchiko san's excellent book, "The New Generation of Japanese Swordsmiths".

If you have any questions about him or his work, let me know. I know him very well - he and his wife were actually the legal witnesses for my marriage :thumbsup: ....

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the information it is very helpful. I have read that book you referenced. I later sold it when I was thinking I would never own something as nice as a Shinsakuto so now I can't go back and reference book about the swordsmith. I will see if I can find a used copy of that book on Grey's website at a reasonable price as I think is still in print.

Cool personal story about the swordsmith. Thanks for sharing. :)

Congratulations Grant. I have owned several swords from the Enomoto family: a Sadahito contest sword, a long Sadayoshi and a third katana which was a gassaku by both smiths. That tanto is as nice as anything I have seen from this very talented family. I love the more naturalistic take on ayasugi-hada vs. what we often see that can look artificial and forced. Definitely the smith I would reach out to if I were to arrange a commission in the future.

Regards,

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..