James,

Have to disagree with your disagreement :)

For those newcommers and novices, they are absolutely going to look back on these days in 50 years and say exactly what we are saying now..."remember when you could go to a sword show, and there were tables of tsuba and swords, and you didn't need licenses or a massive bank account....etc etc"

Things are not getting better. No ways, no how. In 50 years time we are all going to wish we bought those swords lying on the tables or attended all the shows. Mark my words.

Brian

In a hobby such as ours, we are our own best customers.  Not many people know they can buy a real Samurai sword.  The ones that do must acknowledge their own naivety when they see sword prices ranging from hundreds to tens of thousands.  

We are our own best customers.  As collectors, we become dealers when we want to acquire a new piece.  If sales are slow, we are more risk averse.  Conversely, if money is flowing, then we are more likely to upgrade our investments.

I believe initial sales determine whether a sword show is hot, or not.  Attractions such as Shinsa can only fan the flames.

One thing is for certain, governments can always print more money, while smiths will never make another real Samurai's sword.  This is why I am bulllish on sword investment right now.  People will always be interested in Asian culture and the history of the Samurai.  As long as new collectors are not alienated, this hobby should grow.

Back in the "lean years" of raising a family and with limited "sword funds," I used to make my "sales" justify going to shows. I also seldom missed a show. For the past 30 years I have taken the approach that attending a show is a vacation and a valuable learning experience. I stopped trying to justify costs and just go and enjoy myself. I must price things too high considering little has moved off my tables the past five years. No worry. I always attend any special events -- NBTHK-American is always a super learning experience -- and try and handle as many top quality swords and tosogu that I can. This all trains one's eyes to what we should be looking for. However, I do sometimes balk at today's table rental costs even though I may have $100K worth of swords set out for  "display." If "selling" is slow, just display something top quality and share with others. (I still say those "roomy" 8-foot tables are dearly missed.)

I look forward to my next "vacation" in Chicago and later, San Francisco. If I can't sell anything and as happens, can't buy much...I will enjoy seeing as many fine quality items as I can find. Later each evening, the pleasant evening hours spent visiting with friends and telling lies to each other (and paying $8 for a Budweiser), is worth the expense! Just my humble opinion, guys and gals.   Ron STL

• Like 1

I can only agree with the last paragraph of Ron's post. There is, at least for me, also a big social side in all these meetings. Tampa was my very fist US show. I was not going to buy much (well, you never know) but I am very happy about having now met a lot of those posting here and elsewhere in person and about making new friends (some I did already know from Japan, but that's another story ;-) ). So this was definitely not my last show, although I haven't decided yet if I ever start collecting again, and I am perfectly fine (as long as book sales are doing fine :glee: ) with spending some bucks on that aforementioned "social factor."

Ok, got a moment to reflect on the shows, and why we go:

Think about why you go or want to go ???

To see the only source of a vast selection of unique Japanese swords and fittings.

That can be yours !!!

To meet the network of great and unique folks that make this a reality for you.

To study, grow, and educate yourself.

To expand the quality of your collection.

To get a table to recycle your early years of collecting for the new students.

To get out of the house, away from the TV, and enjoy yourself.

If it's all about the money and cost, I think you have lost site of what it's all about.

And much more !!  Friends you could never find elsewhere !!

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..