Hi Peter,

What just doing some packing for the show.  Tampa is a fairly short flight for me so I will be leaving bright and early on Friday morning to the show and have everything setup by noon.  I will be their for all three days.  I am sharing a table with Curran and the table number at the Tampa show is 57.  I will post some photos of the show for the people unable to make it.  Take care and hope to see you at the show.   :)  

Markus

Please stop by my (Mark Jones) and Grey Doffin's tables and introduce yourself. Grey and I will be there with 3 or 4 tables full of 50+ swords (probably an undiscovered  Juyo or two in the mix) and 100+ tsuba. Look forward to some fun

• Like 1

Stephen,

Received your cold weather last night. Temps here on the Sarasota Bay hit about 31. Inland in the 20s.

Lit up the big fireplace and had a nice night of it burning some of one of the oaktrees we had cut down a few years ago.

For the visitors, weather is returning to the low 70s by day and 50s by night with low humidity. Should be great weather for boating or hanging out by the pool when not inside at the sword show.

Hi Everyone,

It was a very good show for me. Was able to see and study many fine tosogu all three days of the show. I was able to move everything off of my table that I wanted to and get a couple of really nice tsuba. I would like to personally thank Grey Doffin for his honesty and integrity in a deal we made on Sunday.

P.S. With permission from the owner here is some Higo eye candy for all who couldn't make it. Please try to make it next year. :)

post-680-0-04250800-1424700790_thumb.jpg

Indeed, I think the general assessment was that the 2015 Tampa show was rather flat. It was good to see old friends and there were nice things to look at. Individuals found some things, but there was little 'action." I brought nothing home. Still, Tthere were hints of old style American sword collecting to be expereinced at the show. In addition to clean and kantei'd blades, there were also some "as found" items. Those are blades that offer a disctinctive kantei challege that shaped american sword collecting. What is under all that gunk? Can that shape be corrected in polish? Gimei? Can you do any better? etc etc. The supply of discoverable swords is clearly deminishing, but the woods are full of clean and completley assessed "swords." The sport has changed.

Peter

I have to disagree with Peter about the action at the show; business for me and my table mate was brisk.  The show wasn't full (there were a few empty tables due mostly to cancellations, I heard) and it wasn't as crowded as it could have been but still lots of fun.  Robert Haynes attended and was kept busy looking at tsuba (everyone wants a free shinsa).  The dealer's Japanese dinner Saturday evening (included in the cost of the table at the insistance of the hotel) was tasteless (miso soup with no miso; I kid you not).  But the NBTHK American Branch display of great Choshu tsuba (narrated by James Lawson) was quite flavorfull.  And the poker gods smiled on me both Friday and Saturday night.

Not as many books available at the show as in previous years but I did manage to pick up some good titles.  I did buy a tsuba for myself; one of these days I'll take pix and post them to the Kodogu forum.

Grey

Personal opinion is the show was a stark contrast to the strong Tampa show 2014.

Perhaps on the back of that strong show, Bill Green decided to run two other shows along the East Coast in the last 6 months.

Diluting the East Coast across 3 shows and with Mark having done such a praised job of reviving the Chicago show with its shinsa just around the corner, the 2015 Tampa show was as dilute as the Miso soup Grey described. Bad weather in the NorthEast kept further participants away. I felt the volume of activity and people was less than 1/2 of the prior year.

There was a fair bit of commercial activity at the lower end, but a dead ceiling above a certain pricepoint.

I had a NBTHK Hozon tsuba on my table at about 60% of the price of the ones at the DTI in Japan this year: result was several inquiries as to "what is this" and to why it was so expensive? Another veteran collector had one of the same school, with no takers. At the DTI all but one of the ones on the floor below $10,000 sold during the 3 days I was there. Cyrus-Mike had something that greatly interested me, but with my conservative 1 in 1 out mentality and them leaving red-eye early Sunday- didn't make it happen.    __Just so different from last year and the rapid fittings buying/selling activity at the DTI__

James Lawson's Choshu lecture was a highpoint.

The social time and information after hours was very good.

Just think the show greatly suffered due to East Coast dilution and bad weather this year.

Chris:  I don't at all discount the impact of a shinsa.   However, the USA cannot handle 5 shows. Bill might kill Tampa if he keeps that up. As is, I would say either Chicago or Tampa would tap out someday. Personal vested interest is Tampa, but Mark seems to be getting Chicago in fighting shape to take the crown. [i'd also rather the shows 6 months apart].

Must agree with Jon and give my thanks to the individual who brought his Juyo Norishige. That was exceptional of him given how much travel time he had to put in. Wish we got to see more of him. I accidentally came away from the show with his Microdear for the Norishige and need to mail it to him.

Although it is easy to criticize the work of others I have to wonder how much advertising was done for this show to the local public this year. Perhaps there was a lot but, it sure seemed like there was not very many people coming in from the outside this year as compared to prior. (Just my view though) However outside folks do not guarantee sales but it does raise awareness of the hobby and hopefully we can convert one or two of them into students and collectors one day. 

I think all the shows have seen a decrease in attendance over the last 20 years, on average. Every now and then a shinsa comes to town and things liven up due to the influx of all those who normally don't attend shows. From the attendance boost that shinsa bring it is clear that there are still lots of people into the hobby, they just don't attend the shows much...Something needs to be done to make shows relevant again in this internet world....I would think it might be a good idea to survey those attending the shinsa to find out what else might motivate them to attend a show on a regular basis. I would think three shows a year- East coast, West coast, midwest are plenty.

I know from the few shows that I organized in Minneapolis/Chicago that there are many people who collect and have a serious interest but they don't normally attend any of the shows. There were several hundred people in attendance- most of whom I had never seen at either Chicago or Tampa... I talked with quite a few of them at our shows to find out what brought them and most said it was the educational programs. One show I brought smiths, polishers, shirasaya and habaki makers, etc., and had them give demos all weekend long with q&a....Another show we had lectures and demos on kimono and flower arranging, a lecture on zen by a zen priest, a kyudo demo, a calligraphy display, a display of swords with flaws, etc., etc. It is a lot of work to arrange all of this but I think it is what is needed to bring in the pure collectors. These days it is mostly dealers and quasi-dealers and their ranks are dwindling.

What I would like to see is a shinsaku exhibit at a show. There are several people in the West making tsuba, shirasaya, habaki, polishing, tsukamaki, and even making Japan style swords. It would be great to get examples of all of these out there for people to see what modern Western craftspeople are doing. Mark? Bill?

I had toyed with the idea of resurrecting a show in Texas but after looking more closely at the costs and coordination totally agree Chris that the hobby won't support more than 3 shows annualy very well right now (maybe never). Also agree with your comments about having other activities but in case of Tampa for example, there were multiple activities including archery, lectures etc but it was the same old folks attending the show. Without bringing in different people what happens is just a dealer swap where merchandise is regurgitated from person to person, and show to show. 

James, I forget you're here in town.  I think you're right that it'd be a money loser.  Steve and Michelle tried keeping the FTW militaria show going after Bill Nagasi quit running it.  After not even covering costs they just dropped it.  Seems like it's tough to keep the excitement going on a lot of collectables right now.

The question of bringing in new collectors to shows has been pondered time and time again. I think the problem is, if it is a problem, our area of study is an expensive one and while lots of people get into the "Samurai" thing, few are willing to put in the thousands of hours of study and the many dollars required to go past that initial interest. Personally, I can't understand how anyone can't be fascinated by swords and kodogu,but that's me. What appealed to me with Chris' shows....table price was more reasonable and tables were eight foot tables...like the old days! Everyone commented on those wonderful 8-foot tables! The exhibits and study sessions Chris mentioned were also great attractions, but again, not all that many attendees bothered to leave the show to visit the exhibits. They missed out. Today, with the NBTHK-American exhibits and others, the opportunity to see and handle great "stuff" is there. Sometimes I think it is the cost of having a table is a big, big factor. Not having ever run a show, I really do not know what it takes but for an average collector, table costs do become a factor. (Must run...could chat more about this but...)  Ron STL

Hi Chris:

Travel expenses, table costs, hotel room, food, drink all contribute to the cost of working for three days at a show. Some have priced me out of the show. Air fare keeps on going up as well. One has to sell quite a bit these days to make the costs of going to the show - especially since things are down and many are loosing money on the things they sell. At least if the educational component is good the trip becomes worthwhile. 

• Like 1

Hi Chris:

Travel expenses, table costs, hotel room, food, drink all contribute to the cost of working for three days at a show. Some have priced me out of the show. Air fare keeps on going up as well. One has to sell quite a bit these days to make the costs of going to the show - especially since things are down and many are loosing money on the things they sell. At least if the educational component is good the trip becomes worthwhile. 

+1 to this. Agree.

Air travel post 9/11....

No doubt the airfare, hotel, food and drink, etc. add up, but still, for those dealing at any but the lowest levels, how does an extra $100 for a table even enter one's consciousness? Even a few thousand dollars for the weekend seems trivial when one is buying/selling swords/kodogu for tens of thousands....

Of course I am looking at this from the standpoint of a dealer. If one isn't selling anything, then surely it doesn't make economic sense to roll in red ink.

For the collector, well, I think it is reasonable to spend a few thousand on participating in the hobby, especially if you are already spending tens of thousands on blades and kodogu. For guys starting out or not collecting at a high level, I can understand....for those sitting on big collections with Juyo, etc., I have to scratch my head.....

I am fortunate enough to have another career and this is all just play money for me in my hobby however for those who this is their vocation I can completely understand the escalation of prices for everything but their merchandise and the difficulty in their situation. Swords have gone down in value while the costs and hassle have risen. Additionally the merchandise is getting harder to find and the collectors are getting pickier and more educated. With the rising costs also come the costs of restoration which used to be a good gamble on a great sword, now not so much. If you restore something you better love it because more often than not you are going to be buried in it cost-wise. 

Remember the good old days of Mark Wahlberg bringing trash cans full of swords to shows and their being incredible swords there and the costs of getting it restored and making a profit when you wanted to move it along? Those days are gone. Now the market is tougher.  

All is not doom and gloom though if you are a collector. Great deals can be had if you have the cash A great example of this was seen last weekend when a Juyo Ichimonji blade sat unsold on Fred Weisberg's table for 35k. That sword (not long ago) would have brought 50-75k. 

• Like 1

I got in on the tail end of Marks on the spot auctions, where free drinks flowed, and bidding was fast and furious, along came ebay spoiled the fun, if any remember im sure a smile comes to mind, more than a few said the next morn " I owe what"?!!, ah the good ol shows. Where one or two sales covered all cost. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..