Alleged Hoki No Kami Fujiwara Nobutaka?

6pakki

Dear all,

I have in my possession a small Nihonto. Like everyone else, I am curious to know more about it and it's history.

The mei is not the same that I have seen in other Nobutaka, so could someone be so kind and shed more light in this matter?

Could it be another generation or gimei?

Yours Sincerely,

post-3167-0-30381500-1424183539_thumb.jpg

post-3167-0-66053700-1424183603_thumb.jpg

Mr. Geyer,

Thank you for your prompt answer. 
I thought so myself and now I have the final answer.

This blade still intrigues me for some reason. Maybe one day I get more information about it's origin and history.

Thank you also Chris for your support.

Yours,

Sorry for such a late reply have been in alot of states last few weeks, Sorry to say this is not a Owari Nobutaka mei from any of the generations. Sorry for the not good news!

Fred Geyer 

Hi Fred,

Sorry to hijack someone elses thread, but in the recent NTHK NPO shinsa in Japan I had a mumei wakizashi papered to the sandai Nobutaka. It is quite a big stout blade with o-kissaki. I can't find any other examples made by the nidai with o-kissaki, would this be quite rare for the school?

Thanks,

Peter

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have been bit stubborn and looked for more info about this little sword.

I have had three different opinions and they all say that the sword is gimei. Also two person has said that this is no Shinto wakizashi but rather Katate-uchi / Uchigatana from muromachi period. Slowly I get more info about her...

Yours sincerely,

Juha

Could some one please be so kind and look to the seconde picture please? The zakisori and jigane is not shinto period if I am not completly bonkers or am I. For me it is not about the value of her. I just love to know where she came from, who might have made her, why she was made and how has she survived this long to come to me. As we are speaking... Well reading... She is in good care of a togishi who shall take care of her and make her pretty again. All in good time. But while waiting, please throw me a bone.

Hello Juha,

The picture is too distant to get a look at the jigane. We would need much closer pictures, macro shots even, to start talking about jigane. The shape looks good, but I don't know if it screams out "Muromachi". Actually, it doesn't even scream out "sakizori" to me, but I guess it is somewhat sakizori. I get the impression from the nakago-jiri that it has been shortened, and so the original shape might have been longer, but I could be wrong about that. In any event, it is a nice shape, but I wouldn't exclude the possibility of it being a shinto. I also tend to think that any respectable forger wouldn't put a modern name on a koto sword. It wouldn't make financial sense, for one thing.  

The length will determine if it is wakizashi (under two shaku) or katana. The terms are somewhat flexible - but for registration purposes (i.e. when the sword is registered in Japan) there is less flexibility. Uchigatana and katate-uchi are terms that were discussed at some length on the board here a few months ago - I recommend having a look at that discussion. 

Looks like an OK sword. Should be very nice when it comes back from polish. (Your togishi should be able to tell you more about it as well). 

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..