Deadbeat Buyers On Ebay An Issue?

I haven't tried to sell anything on Ebay for a long while but decided to clear a few things out recently. I put three things up for auction. I received payment from one. The other two -one from Taiwan who wanted the item shipped to Guam and didn't want to pay the postage quote I received from the PO; the other from Russia with a Netherlands address who just strung things out without explanation, were deadbeats....Anyone else have this kind of experience?

Chris,

I sell a ton of antique items on Ebay, which is how I gather funds to add additions to my collection.  

I usually have a disclaimer on the bottom stating "Overseas buyers welcome with xx positive feedbacks".  That way I can cancel bids or cancel the transaction if I'm not comfortable about the low feedback rating. 

Often I'll cancel bids during the auction if they are a 0 feedback person as that is a 99% future non-payer.    Overall during the course of a avg year with approx 250+ transactions the problems are relatively low since I've adopted those facets.

If the overseas buyer has quality positive feedback then I usually ship without using the Global program to save them some $ and keep a robust customer base.    I sell quite a bit of items overseas to the same clientle.

Best Regards,

Bob

I'm more concerned about the "dead beat" sellers.

The amount of blades that I have bought from known dealers on ebay to have to waste my money shipping it back is rediculous. If they say the edge has no chips or cracks or hesitations then that is what it should be. Perfectly straight does not equal "a slight bend" in reality.

Pathetic excuses like, "oh I overlooked that one because I sell so many blades is a joke".

Then when confronted about paying the return shipping price they stop contact and block your bids on future items. Im looking in Komonjo's direction.... :bang:

Regardless of ebays policy, I believe that if you were careless and at fault then you should man up and pay to make it right.

More people should learn to leave negative feedback for buyers and sellers. Ive spoken to people who were stuffed around by the same people I have, here in WA and they didn't even bother to leave feedback for them. Irresponsible in my opinion.

I guess that if you can't afford to waste time and money, don't swim in the shark tank ;)

Trent S

Yeah, I was shocked to find out that I can't even leave negative feedback for the deadbeats. Turns out there is really nothing that I can do and Ebay doesn't really do anything either....Apparently being a deadbeat is pretty much ok with Ebay....

Hi All

'However you can add addition comments to the feedback sent post auction.

This possibly has to be cleverly worded to beat e-bay , but can be done. One seller who sold me a fake in my greener years and wouldn't refund nor would e-bay support my claims left rather nasty comments along the lines of "this scammer " . So it can be done .

Seems to be followup comments.

Just to be clear I got my refund using My credit card company , using paypal does have some advantages. ;-)  Did have to jump thru hoops .

Chris

Chris,

Lots of odd things w/ ebay. Last time, got someone who claimed to know me and kept messaging me long compositions.

It seemed to be an oldtimer from Hawaii, as he wasn't ignorant. Just bored?

Today it was someone placing and cancelling bids. I don't know whether they were trying to sound out the current high bidder's bid, or what?

Ebay can be a very weird place.

Ebay will kick off people with multiple deadbeat auctions - they had to eliminate negative feed back from buyers to deal with the feedback blackmail issue.  I haven't sold anything on Ebay in quite a while but I'd look at having to apply for refunds of fees as part of the cost of doing business.

Chris,

Lots of odd things w/ ebay. Last time, got someone who claimed to know me and kept messaging me long compositions.

It seemed to be an oldtimer from Hawaii, as he wasn't ignorant. Just bored?

Today it was someone placing and cancelling bids. I don't know whether they were trying to sound out the current high bidder's bid, or what?

Ebay can be a very weird place.

I think I know the person in Hawaii you are talking about. He's an oldtimer who does ebay. I think hes in his 70's or 80's. collects only juyo and sells antiques for hundreds of thousands of dollars. I will write him from time to time and he will give me lots of sound nihonto information and points. He has no interest in coming to this board. I think his name is Brad but he is down the street from Bob the polisher.

I found the Hawaiian to be a bit on the Far Side. He had 0 feedback and insisted he knew me from some 1970s Chicago sword show... that I was a pianist and etc. etc.

Erh... no, that wasn't me.

I guess I jinxed myself with even writing here. The auction I had up today drew some individual from the UK who made a high bid then canceled it. Then one of the other bidders canceled his bid because he didn't know why the other person had canceled their bid. Both were in the UK.

All this over a $75 antique signed kogatana.  I'd rather just take it to Tampa and sell it for $100

Ebay is a strange, strange place. I sold a sarute for $187.50 + postage the other day which is fair to say I was very happy about as I had it for sale here for half that. Now I can't sell a mint condition naval Tassel and got one offer for less than half a conservative estimate. Then when you factor in deadbeat buyers, all the con artist sellers and buyers who do chargebacks etc and the ebay + paypal fees there's a reason I don't use it unless I absolutely have to.  The prices that are realized seem completely random.

• 1 month later...

I'm having trouble bidding on ebay, I need a good trustworthy nmb member who will buy a sword for me, and ship it here without any trouble, ie with relevant numbers for customs.

Please help.

Ian Bellis

I believe Stephen does this. I take it you're in the UK and can't bid on swords?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..