upcoming Christie's auctions

Christie's has their New York sword auction in September, and has the swords online now. There are some extremely impressive pieces in this sale (tear inducing Tokubetsu Juyo Aoe and an ubu, signed Bizen Kunimune with great koshirae among the top picks).

There are some very nice Yamato blades and some of the reserves seem quite low. But basically a nice selection of koto blades running the gamut from gimei but still koto to top shelf work.

The London sale will be in November. I am sending my Kanemitsu (cries). Packed it and unpacked it a few times. This is one of the best swords I've ever had, basically in original condition shy of the suriage, which is something I have never seen in a koto blade. To keep it I have to cough up 20 grand or so in sales taxes (ouch), which I don't have to spend, so in order to finish closing up my sword company I have to sell it. It is on its way overseas now. There will be some other very fine swords in this auction as well.

I'll be leaving the site up with the reference works there, and maybe be adding more articles over time.

I learned a lot about a lot of things by running that site and having swords come in and out. I wish I could keep doing it, but running a business blows. Wish I could do this for fun, but import/export is not fun haha.

Dear Michel,

Here is the Christie's description:

Creator EDO PERIOD (19TH CENTURY), WITH KAO

Lot Title A Tanaka-School Tsuba

Estimate 2,500 - 3,000 U.S. dollars

Lot Description A Tanaka-School Tsuba

Edo Period (19th Century), with kao

Irregularly-shaped iron plate with a bronze ishime surface on the web, the rim raised and silvered on the inside edge in a stylized representation of a wave, the web designed with a large anchor encrusted with rust and coral, with seashells and flying sea birds and a silver-inlaid moon, the reverse with crashing waves in silver and gold and branches of coral in sunken relief

2 5/8in. (6.8cm.)

Paul.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..