6 Shinsaku Tsuba For Sale.

Kevin Adams

I'm combining my previous sale threads into one, to make things a bit easier. I had done this on the previous iteration of the forum, but it seems to have disappeared. Moderators, please delete my previous sale threads for these pieces. 

I'm planning a trip to the UK in March to work with Ford on a new project, so am motivated to sell these pieces towards that end. I've knocked a bit more off the prices for the rest of February, but don't hesitate to get in touch with a reasonable offer. Let's make a deal!

Some more photos and discussion can be found in this thread, and some larger photos can be found on my Flickr feed.

1. Akasaka "3 Cranes" tsuba. This is an utsushi of a well-known Akasaka tsuba. The crane, or “tsuru”, is a treasured symbol of longevity and good fortune due to its mythical lifespan of 1000 years. It is also a symbol of fidelity since the birds mate for life, and is a common motif throughout all Japanese art forms. 

Steel plate with copper sekigane, includes a custom-fitted kiribako. 81mm x 84mm. $1000USD $900USD + shipping & Paypal fees, if applicable.

post-146-0-64304700-1423755325_thumb.jpg

2. Akasaka "Bell Cricket, Moon and Grasses" tsuba. This is an copy of an Akasaka tsuba. A cricket chirps one last song as the summer gives way to autumn, and the grass begins to wilt under a crescent moon. Popularly depicted in poetry and art, this scene is closely associated with seasonal change and is a recurring theme in the haiku of Buson and Issa.

Steel plate with copper sekigane, includes a custom-fitted kiribako. 79mm x 84mm. $1000USD $900USD + shipping & Paypal fees, if applicable.

post-146-0-66862900-1423755379_thumb.jpg

3. Akasaka "Seasonal Grasses" tsuba. This is an copy of an Akasaka tsuba. There probably is no more universal representation of the natural world than grass. Stretching across vast fields, small tufts barely surviving on mountainsides, strands wilting in droughts - there is no stronger and more subtle way to depict the harmony, harshness or subtle motions of nature.

Steel plate with copper sekigane, includes a custom-fitted kiribako. 80mm x 81mm. $1000USD $900USD + shipping & Paypal fees, if applicable.

post-146-0-98674100-1423755491_thumb.jpg

4. Higo "Plum Blossom" tsuba. This is a study of a well-known Hayashi tsuba. As one of the first blossoms to open during the year, the plum blossom, or “ume”, is firmly associated with seasonal change, namely the start of spring. As such it is also a symbol of unyielding endurance, having overcome the cold winter to give spring its fragrance.

Steel plate with copper sekigane, includes a custom-fitted kiribako. 80mm x 82mm. $1350USD $1250USD + shipping & Paypal fees, if applicable.

post-146-0-95935100-1423755560_thumb.jpg

5. Akasaka "Four Seasons" tsuba. This is a study of an Akasaka tsuba in the Sasano collection. It was a particularly interesting one for me, in that the motif isn't QUITE the Four Gentlemen. The replacement of the chrysanthemum with maple leaves makes me wonder what the artist had in mind, although it, in my opinion, still stands as a clear motif of the four seasons. I've also deliberately pushed the carving further than one might see on Akasaka work, because there was a wonderful opportunity to do so. This is one of my favourites in the collection, and was very satisfying to make.

Steel plate, includes a custom-fitted kiribako. 79mm x 81mm. $1350USD $1250USD + shipping & Paypal fees, if applicable.

post-146-0-60775700-1423755714_thumb.jpg

6. Akasaka "Pine Trees" tsuba. This is a copy of an Akasaka tsuba in the Sasano collection. Studying pine trees and their portrayal in Japanese art is an ongoing project of mine, and this tsuba is the first piece to come from that study. It is a very strong-feeling piece, in spite of it being about a millimetre thinner than the original. Again, I've pushed the carving on the needles further than on the original - there was a chance to explore them further than linework in kebori, so these needle clusters are more reminiscent of later work outside of the Akasaka school. This, along with the Four Seasons tsuba above, is one of my favourites in the collection.

Steel plate with copper sekigane, includes a custom-fitted kiribako. 81mm x 85mm. $1350USD $1250USD + shipping & Paypal fees, if applicable.

post-146-0-78386900-1423755764_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this one back up to the top. These are still for sale, but I'll be in the UK (Torquay) from Sunday until March 11th, so if you're interested we can make a deal but won't be able to ship until I get back.

UNLESS, of course, you live in the UK and you get in touch today or tomorrow. I can always bring a piece with me that you're interested in, and can post from there... ;)

I just arrived in Torquay for a period of working with Ford, and the wine rack is already starting to look a bit empty. So I'm thinking I should tempt you all a bit more on these tsuba in order to sufficiently replenish our supply.

$750USD + shipping and PayPal fees gets you any one of these pieces. Pretty good, right? I'll also entertain reasonable offers on multiple tsuba, just shoot me a message.

I have the pine tree and four seasons tsuba with me here in the UK and can ship them immediately - otherwise, I have to send orders out on the 12th once I'm back in Toronto.

Support some artists!

After viewing these tsuba since Kevin started this post I decided to buy one tsuba

Kevin has produced some outstanding work and I particularly liked the tadpole and the snail tsuba

I then remember reading many posts about buying Fords tsuba while they could still afford them and I look on Kevin's work as an opportunity to buy one of his tsuba while I can still af(Ford) to - pun intended

I wonder if anyone else will regret not buying one at such a good price while they had the chance

Grev UK

Grev,

i have no doubt at all, that like Ford's tsuba, I will be kicking myself later for not having the funds.

I had discussed it many times with Ford, and just never seemed to get there financially. My huge loss. And with Kevin's work, the same applies. But I am still at the same point financially :laughing:

I think a great investment from all aspects.

Brian

Hi Everyone,

The Higo Hayashi Ume is my favorite tsuba. Still no money and what money I will have is going toward a Japan trip I need to take next month. I am happy I will get one free day in Tokyo to indulge my hobby. I hope to get to see fine pieces at Ginza Choshuya and Japanese Sword museum. Kevin, good luck with your remaining two sales. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Reuben! I am indeed working on a competition entry for this year, very different from the work posted here. In fact, it's one of the reasons I came over the Torquay to work with Ford this week, to get some insights and to have him looking over my shoulder from time to time.

More to come on THAT when it's a bit further along, though. ;)

"3 Cranes" and "Seasonal Grasses" tsubas still available. :)

Many thanks to everyone that has expressed an interest in these tsuba and made purchases, Ford's wine rack has been well-stocked during my time in Torquay! However, there are still two pieces available, and I'm hoping to recoup some of my travel costs through their sale.

$750 each for the "3 Cranes" and "Seasonal Grasses" tsubas (plus Paypal fees if applicable and shipping), or make me an offer for the two together.

Thanks again!

Have I mentioned that these tsuba were used as set dressing in a television show?

Back in October, barely a day after I finished the eight tsuba for the "Stories in Steel" exhibit, I got a call from a friend advising me that I'd be getting a call from an art director that works in television. They were gathering "stuff Japanese" to dress a set for a new show they were making in Toronto, called "Man Seeking Woman".

This screenshot is from episode 5, and is the first instance they've appeared in the show. I'm quite pleased to finally have seen them on screen. 

$750USD each for the "3 Cranes" and "Seasonal Grasses" tsubas (plus Paypal fees if applicable and shipping), or $1400USD for both.

post-146-0-40530100-1426388093_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..