Japanese Prehistoric Arrowheads (Yanone)

I was wondering ? Does any member collect or have any stone Japanese points . I have an intense interest about the subject .

I have seen Japanese arrowheads made from stone, used as menuki in some very nice swords . I want to know more about  why when ?

Does anyone know if this is some sort of trait for a particular clan , or is it just something that some some tsukaito decided to use ? 

Also does any one have such a sword or blade outfitted so ?        James

Thanks for the tip , very good reading . I have a few stone points from Japans jamon period I believe spelling is right . They are stemmed points and are nearly identical to points the waubesa point from USA from about 500 BC to 500 AD.  Thak you very much   James

There is a big - heck huge ! - literature on Japanese archeology and the Jomon era. It turns out that stonepoints have a very long history during the Jomon era - call it 10,000 BC til 500BC - but  there was very little formal variation in the category so that arrowhead typology is way less important in Japan than it is in North America. Simple, small  stone tipped arrow where used for centuries so triangular and stemmed points are quite common. I think I may have some which I will try to - ahh - dig out.

I do have a pair of tsuka that have stone projectile point menuki. Indeed, as I recall they were discussed on the Message Board a couple of years back. I would LOVE to see more. My impression - well its a guess, really - is that they are from northern Honshu and they date from the 19th century. They look like 'country" stuff to me. Artifact collecting was a rather popular pastime inLate Edo times.. I could dig out a reference if any was interested.

Peter

Peter I guarantee that I care . I think if someone wants to truly understand the Japanese culture , you must study all of it, not just a  small period .

The first Question I want to ask you , do you want to sell one of those ??  Here are some pieces from my collection . I studied Archeology ( archaic) Titerinton focus with Dr Carl Chapman . He is passed now . But I learned a lot from him . We excavated sites in 3 different countries . One item that should be of interest to most members .

At the turn of the Century several human effigy pipes and stone carvings were discovered in southern Illinois just south of Cahokia mounds ,And Spiro mounds  that contained several effigies that most Archeologists Agreed that it looked very Japanese including the hairdo . I will post it . There is another one that I haven't been able to locate picture yet that looks even more Japanese ... He is carrying a sword that looks like straight Japanese blade  ????  Here are some pics   Enjoy........ James

Ps there are several Japanese points in collection , see if you can pick them out . Who ever gets it right first gets a free excavated American Indian Projectile!

I care Peter, really enjoy reading this topic. Just have nothing worthwhile to add, but love to hear more.

Guess I need to use the "like" button more.

James, lovely collection. My gf loves these, but we haven't started a collection yet. Oneday maybe...

Brian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brian, sorry I did not get back sooner . If you are interested in starting a collection maybe I can help ? I really don't sell much of my collection . I am one of those guys " if I did not find it , Its not important to me because of so many outright fakes and some reproductions that can be very convincing , somewhat like the Japanese sword industry .

I would be willing to trade something . Knives , fittings or whatever you may want to trade ? Every blade I have was found or excavated by Myself. I even have provenance of where each blade was found and its age and typology . Some large stone knives can be quite pricey , depending on quality of stone and workmanship i.e. and length of blade, I also have some that are very

reasonable . Also similar to sword collecting.

Please drop me an email and we can talk a little .... Regards James

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..