The Most Boring Cute Tsuba Ever Made

lonely panet

Hi guys,

heres a post that is sure to annoy the elitist tsuba connoisseurs.

firstly I enjoy Japanese swords as weapons and as objects of art secondly, I have trouble understanding some peaples idea's of what a art sword should be, and why the lesser liked schools are shunned to the dark corners.

SSSSOOOO  Im posting some pics of a poor little tsuba that fits this title to a tee,

its a cute but plain soft metal tsuba made during the sengoku for a yorodoshi

please fell free to shot it down or enjoy this item that was made approx. 450-500 years ago during war, at a price, but has served all this time being refitted and punched inn to re-fit new blades

regards Hamish

post-571-0-74099400-1422759594_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-32601400-1422759616_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-44867300-1422759812_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-64307500-1422760012_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-21176600-1422760033_thumb.jpg

its a puzzle to pick the metal, maybe yamagane with urushi?? or shakudo

the pin punching (awa ishime) is very Muromachi I think, but the crude hitsu ana is a puzzle to me

regards Hamish

Hi Hamish,

Your tsuba is yamagane with nice patina and a few layers of kuro-urushi on it. I sold a similar tsuba a few weeks ago made for a kodachi that dated from the early to mid Muromachi Period. The kozuka hitsu-ana is likely not original. I like these types of early tsuba.

The metal may or may not be 'yama-gane' but given that no-one really knows what yamagane is/was it's a moot point. The whole natural copper theory is unsubstantiated and in fact in classical texts yamagane isn't anything to do with copper at all, nor it's alloys.

Any one of dozens of alloys might develop a patina such as this so trying to nail the alloy based on some photos on the internet is simply guesswork.

I can see no urushi myself nor any specific details or features that would allow for any sort of reasonable dating of the piece.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..