is the mei everything to you

Stephen

when you buy a sword. Now that the auction isover whats your take on this blade. Sure its gimei but is that what holds you back from buying a other wise nice wak in full polish. the price of the polish is the price of the sword. It should have given many hours of pleasure studying this. of course i did not want to stick my neck out any farther :lol: but thought more would have been there at the end. So the question is Do you buy a sword just because its shoshin? what do you think it would have come in as if the mei was removed and resubmitted for shinsa? Just curious

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 920342&id=

as a tsuba man, my kantei is late Koto, Bizen or Mino, that sort of late 1400's, early 1500's crossover period.

For someone who who seems to know a bit about swords ( the seller I am refering to ) it is interesting there is no clear, square on image of the mei. I am always curious about people who do this. Why would you take the time to lay out information and links to Nihotno info and not do the most basic requierment, show a mei.

The Hi look like an odd Shinto add on, and not that flash to me. Maybe to hide ware.

just my thoughts, curious to what others think.

Rich

As for me, I buy what I see and like the characteristics on the blade and look the mei later even if it is a gimei..... I am sure there are a lot of gimeis sword on this hobby but study on the blade characteristics is more importance than just look at the mei and provided judgemental call.....

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..