Sword Legitimacy And Condition Questions

hello all and happy new year.

I was wondering if somebody could help me regarding a sword i know nothing about

As i am begining to collect Japanese swords and this is my first.

My concerns are the legitimacy of the signature and the age of the sword itself.

Also i assume by the pictures the person sent me that the koshirae were not made for this sword as the hibaki looks ill fitting and the tsuka looks too long for the tang.

Also if somebody could also give me a good figure to pay and if it is worth buying it to have the blade polished and basically restore it.

imagejpg12_zpseb5a50c0.jpg

imagejpg4_zps32211712.jpg

imagejpg2_zps3a33eeed.jpg

imagejpg6_zps34b679de.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsa64c3079.jpg

imagejpg1_zps1f8c269c.jpg

imagejpg1_zps8b3510ff.jpg

There are many generations in the Nobutaka line from Owari. They span Shinto to the end of Shinshinto, 10 generations or thereabouts.

If you wish to verify whether or not this signature is good, you will need valid examples from each generation. As you may imagine, this will take a lot of time and resources. You can probably get examples of 3 or 4 generations from searching with google. The others may take a literature search.

Depending on what you are looking to pay for this, it may or may not be worth the effort. The sword itself looks to be pieced together. You may do well to invest in some books, improve your knowledge, and find something a bit easier to evaluate.

There are many generations in the Nobutaka line from Owari. They span Shinto to the end of Shinshinto, 10 generations or thereabouts.

If you wish to verify whether or not this signature is good, you will need valid examples from each generation. As you may imagine, this will take a lot of time and resources. You can probably get examples of 3 or 4 generations from searching with google. The others may take a literature search.

Depending on what you are looking to pay for this, it may or may not be worth the effort. The sword itself looks to be pieced together. You may do well to invest in some books, improve your knowledge, and find something a bit easier to evaluate.

Thanks for the reply , well the person wants £600.00 GBP for this which i dont if it is a good , bad or fair deal

Hi Jason,

Go to FAQ and read what it has to say about beginners wanting to buy, paper, and restore their 1st sword, and wanting to do it yesterday.  Go slow; take the time to become better educated.  The more learning you do the better your decisions will be; if you rush you're very likely to waste money.

Grey

Jason, until you've spent at least a few hundred quid/Euro on reference books, & then spent the time to study & understand them, anything that we tell you isn't going to percolate very deeply. It really is important to do some homework before spending your hard-earned money.

Ken

Jason,

Logically, you cannot change your display name to any name used by someone else as a display name or a login name.

The answer is to just add your name in your signature, or otherwise choose another display name not taken, such as Jason X or whatever.

Brian

I'd just like to point out the seller of this sword is not Bill Tagg. He sold this particular sword years ago so has nothing to do with it as it stands. The oshigata he supplies are just for information only.

£600 seems to be a fair price by UK standards. I would advise you visit Birmingham miltaria fair so you can see and handle a few swords first:

http://www.birminghamarmsfair.com/

I'd just like to point out the seller of this sword is not Bill Tagg. He sold this particular sword years ago so has nothing to do with it as it stands. The oshigata he supplies are just for information only.

£600 seems to be a fair price by UK standards. I would advise you visit Birmingham miltaria fair so you can see and handle a few swords first:

http://www.birminghamarmsfair.com/

No offense intended but UK standards are a complete joke as far as I'm concerned. It seems to be drastically overpriced for anything of remote quality on one hand and a lot of ignorance whereby a  decent nihonto can be next to a generic showato and be equally priced on the other. But enough venting about my disdain for the UK sword market, visiting the Birmingham militaria fair is a good idea to see swords in hand.

To the OP: the first question when considering price has to always be whether the price to polish, shinsa and original buying price is going to be equal to what it would be worth if it turns out to be the best sword it can be by that smith when signed as this is, while in full Japanese polish and papered. In this regard you're probably talking £2000 for restoration and shinsa inc shirasaya etc. By comparison there's a 10th generation Nobutaka on Aoi art for £3000 and maybe this will be better and with Koshirae might be worth £4000 maximum. so effectively you're gambling and going to all that effort if you wanted it polished for £400-£1400 which imho is not worth it even if it is a fair price.

There are alternatives however such as getting it polished by a non-traditionally trained polisher here in the UK for considerably less but I don't feel qualified to comment further on this approach although it may make it a good prospect.

Ok so regarding this sword i have managed to get the seller down to £500.00 on this , so im going to look at this in the morning

What should i look out for ? Is there anything that i should really avoid?

Pitting of the blade?

Also marks in the blade which is folding of the steel could this be mistaken for cracks?

Dear Jason.

"No offense intended but UK standards are a complete joke as far as I'm concerned. It seems to be drastically overpriced for anything of remote quality on one hand and a lot of ignorance whereby a  decent nihonto can be next to a generic showato and be equally priced on the other. But enough venting about my disdain for the UK sword market,"  Well I suppose that if you are buying from a general militaria dealer who has no specific knowledge of Nihonto then you might well find a genuine sword next to a run of the mill shingunto, and if you know what you are doing you might make a good buy.  On the other hand if you were to look at the website of a well known dealer you might fall off your perch at the prices asked.  However Peter's advice was sound and based on his experience as a collector which was surely what you were asking for.

Probably too late to suggest his now but if you are not clear about what flaws would make the blade valueless then some research is in order.  Let us know how this turns out.

All the best.

Dear Jason.

"No offense intended but UK standards are a complete joke as far as I'm concerned. It seems to be drastically overpriced for anything of remote quality on one hand and a lot of ignorance whereby a  decent nihonto can be next to a generic showato and be equally priced on the other. But enough venting about my disdain for the UK sword market,"  Well I suppose that if you are buying from a general militaria dealer who has no specific knowledge of Nihonto then you might well find a genuine sword next to a run of the mill shingunto, and if you know what you are doing you might make a good buy.  On the other hand if you were to look at the website of a well known dealer you might fall off your perch at the prices asked.  However Peter's advice was sound and based on his experience as a collector which was surely what you were asking for.

Probably too late to suggest his now but if you are not clear about what flaws would make the blade valueless then some research is in order.  Let us know how this turns out.

All the best.

Thank you very much for your advice , well i opted against this sword just when i have a gut feeling it is usually right.

As the guy was very vague in his response and just a pain to deal with.

So what i plan on doing is saving my money and around September time i will also have birthday money.

As i often think ooooh cheap but it is cheap for a reason.

I think i will get sooooooo! Much better for around £1500.00 , there is also a guy i have been speaking to

I cant remember the guys name , but he comes too and from Japan and he will mule a sword for me and i know i will get the best i can out of my money.

I also plan on making my own tsuba and my own custom saya with metal inlay and gold leaf.

I may get custom fuchi kashira but i may get period fittings instead.

Im going to go to northern token society and get some books instead of jumping into it.

As there is no rush for now i will look at my miyamoto Paul Chen chinese made Japanese style Katana until i find the item i want.

Thanks again everyone for all your help

Jason

If you are interested, I have a couple of papered Wakizashi that Ian Chapman has kindly put on the consignment page for me at Nihonto UK:

http://nihonto.org.uk/Consignment.html

I might be open to offers if either of these look like something that you might be interested in.

Best regards,

• 1 month later...

Hello,

My first post here, be gentle...

I went a bought this sword. It came yesterday well packed and I had little time late evening to inspect the sword. I do agree with Jason X that seller was a handful. He's an "old geezer" so I let it go due respect of his old age.

I was bit disappointed. As it seems to me that someone has tried to tinker with it. There is no yokote left and I strongly suspect that after the garage polish, it has suffered a acid treatment. bugger.

The koshirae seems old and blade does not sit well in tsuka but it wobbles. The tsukamaki is worn and cut since the mekugi was taken off from wrong ura side.  Saya, sageo seems "cheap" but the tsuba still has some golden ornament on it. The sword itself is quite small, 84cm in total and proportions seem to be same than a normal size nihonto. All in all this makes me wonder if it was made for a child, or woman.

Also about the mei...it is more "crisp" that the overall habitus of the blade so...I dont know. Maybe it is a gimei. The blade seems to have some battle scars and ware and fukure.

Well I went and gave it a basic cleaning and put some oil on it. I shall take pictures and measurements later on.

Sincerely yours,

Hi Juha

A very brave and honest post. It will not make you feel any better, to know that Jason, could well have been in the position you are in now.

But lighten up, as you are not the first, and certainly not the last of those, who have been 'dissapointed', after a purchase.  :sad:

Knowledge is key!

Hope you find these comments, emanate from my gentle side.

• Like 1

Juha,

Sounds like you have a good grasp of what you have, and what to look for. That is already a step in the right direction. Being able to identify what you have, and spot the flaws etc is part of collecting. Looks like you will be just fine. :)

Brian

• 1 year later...

After the polish. After discussing with togishi.

She might be Bishu Osafune, the quality of steel is apparently really good.

Honsanmai.

Ko-midare, suguha hamon.

Hada itame, ko.mokume, some nice pools there and masame in ha.

Boshi, faint ko-maru or yakizume.

The sori is sakisori in my opinion. Nakago has kiri yasurime. There is traces that nakago is not ubu but nakago-jiri is "ichimonji".

There are two meguki-ana and other seems to be done recently. I cannot see nie or nioi but I am "tsuke-yakiba", no good light and no magnifying glass.

She was polished quite often, so someone loved her dearly. Also she has seen battles says togi.

She seems to me late muromachi, Bunroku period?

post-3167-0-89516400-1476712016_thumb.jpg

post-3167-0-88971300-1476712017_thumb.jpg

post-3167-0-04947200-1476712020_thumb.jpg

post-3167-0-28847400-1476712021_thumb.jpg

post-3167-0-15725600-1476712150_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..