Recent score...

Just bought this from an online auction- was surprised I got it as lately I have been outbid at every turn...

Very rare blade by Tsukamoto Kiyokazu, brother of Tsukamoto Okimasa. A genuine "shrine blade" made for his local Jinja in Fukushima city. It has the name of the polisher, Homma Taketsugu, listed as well on the nakago. Very unusual...

I have another blade by this smith and if this one is anything like it, I will be thrilled...

post-1462-14196955416049_thumb.jpg

post-1462-14196955417819_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1419695542097_thumb.jpg

post-1462-141969554219_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Morita san....It does look very healthy and in good condition.

Very unusual to have the date down to the day, the togi's name, and maybe the sayashi's name as well (can't quite see the last few kanji so I am guessing here). Clearly this was made and presented in earnest and with deep conviction.

Yes, a silver habaki.... :thumbsup:

Chris san,

Today,I called to the Shinto priest of Asakakunitsuko-jinja in Koriyama,Fukushima prefecture.

I asked the priest whether a list of dedicated swords existed?

The answer is "There is no list".

He was saying that Shrine's swords ware carried away by the occupation army after the war2. :dunno:

Hmmm....this provides some interesting food for thought. :badgrin:

With reference to some thoughts expressed on the NMB previously that contemporary tsuba can't really be considered true tsuba as they are not made with their primary function being the protection of the hand I am now forced to regard this 'sword' in the same light.

As has been pointed out this blade was made with it's sole 'function' being that of a shrine offering. Given that a real sword's primary function is to cut does this then render the present example a 'sword shaped object' ?

Yes, it could cut, in the same way a contemporary tsuba can offer protection to the hand if need be but if definitions are to be based on the motivations of the maker this 'not a sword' was not made for combat so does that make it a 'sword shaped object' ? :lol:

Hi Chris....wow, great find. Right up your Tsukamoto alley!

Nice to have the reference to the Daitoa senso also....(this of course makes it a "war sword" Ford haha :D ).

A really remarkable find.

Many thanks to Morita san for checking with the shrine too...what a pity the records are not available...maybe something was reported in the local Fukushima newspapers around that date? Worth checking I think...maybe a pic of the presentation will turn up?

Hope to hear more about your researches Chris. Congratulations.

Thanks George! I will look into the newspaper idea... :beer:

Yes, it could cut, in the same way a contemporary tsuba can offer protection to the hand if need be but if definitions are to be based on the motivations of the maker this 'not a sword' was not made for combat so does that make it a 'sword shaped object' ? :lol:

Smiths traditionally made swords for both combat and protection (the sword that takes life/the sword that gives life). They have been frequently made as offerings to shrines to appease the gods with hopes of protection for many hundreds of years-this is a very old, established, traditional "purpose". It isn't a modern departure or contrivance, rather, one of the primary usages of an item with both martial and religious purposes...

Curiously, the sword was without a tsuba....hmmmmm..... significant??? :lol:

Why thank you!

Did I really say "not made for battle" and not "made for its intended purpose" ????

If I did, it was an oversight.... and in that case, thanks for pointing that out! :lol:

As I mentioned above, there is a long tradition of making swords for shrine and temple offerings. It is, and has long been, one of the "intended purposes" of nihonto...

Wow, thank you so much for your research Morita san! That was very kind of you.... :bowdown:

I'm surprised that there are no records...That is sad news...

Chris san,

Even if there are no records in a shrine, don't worry about it.

The tang inscription of this sword is "the record" and It is "the evidence".

Why thank you!

Did I really say "not made for battle" and not "made for its intended purpose" ????

If I did, it was an oversight.... and in that case, thanks for pointing that out! :lol:

As I mentioned above, there is a long tradition of making swords for shrine and temple offerings. It is, and has long been, one of the "intended purposes" of nihonto...

I laughed when I read it originally but knew better than to comment at the time LOL.

Received this sword today.

When I first unsheathed it, my heart sank as there was what appeared to be small chunks of corrosion all over the blade. I cleaned it with some acetone and the "corrosion" all disappeared, leaving a blade in about 99% polish! And what a good polish it is...One of the best I have seen on a war era blade.

The blade really looks like a first rate Hizen-to- beautiful, tight, even, jigane with a gently undulating suguha which has a thick, ko-nie lined habuchi. Flawless.

The habaki is two piece, done in silver. Also rare for war era work.

The only disappointment is a tiny nick in the kissaki. Easily repairable, but there.

There is an additional name at the bottom of the nakago to the right of the togi-shi's name: Kiuchi Katsumoto 木内勝本...Not sure at present what the significance is of that name...Perhaps the sayashi???

Very happy with this sword! :beer:

Hello,

Congratulation Chris!

I cleaned it with some acetone and the "corrosion" all disappeared, leaving a blade in about 99% polish! And what a good polish it is...One of the best I have seen on a war era blade.

Does acetone is safe for the blade ? I have a blade that have an old dry oil difficult to remive with uchiko, does acetone could be a good solution to remove it ? (sorry for off topic).

:thanks:

Sébastien

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..