A big thank you and recommendation

I am not going to go into great detail on the deal, and am pretty sure that neither of these gentlemen would want me to even post this, but felt it important to pass on my gratitude and high recommendation of these 2 members of our collecting community.

I recently concluded an exceptionally good deal with Darcy B. for an item. Darcy went out of his way to assist me and make me an offer that was far beyond good. This is typical of my past dealings with him. He is always willing to assist and give fair and honest advice. A truly exceptional offer to me that went beyond fair.

The item was to ship from the USA through Ted Tenold, and I cannot recommend both of these 2 gents highly enough. Ted is perhaps one of the most efficient and helpful guys I have ever come across. I was actually stunned at how efficient Ted was in shipping a sword. Every fear I had was addressed long before I even asked. The efficiency is staggering. The parcel had a commercial invoice attached, well described and featuring the correct customs tarriff. Then there was a declaration of antiquity fully describing the item. Then an excellent write up to customs on how to treat the parcel if they should examine it, and further description of the item via internet printouts. All the paperwork that could possibly be requested.

These were attached to the outside of the parcel, with multiple duplicates inside in case customs lost them. Then they were also emailed to me, in case they were requested by the post office. Packing was beyond good. All in all, an amazing experience from 2 highly professional people that I would not hesitate to deal with again.

A huge thank you goes out to both Darcy and Ted, and my highest recommendations.

:thanks: :clap:

Brian

Brian

Congratulations on your transaction. The experience you describe is one shared by many of us who have bought swords from Darcy and Ted. I have never been dissappointed or had anything other than a very postive experience.

Whatever it is you have bought I am sure will delight you enjoy!

I have dealt twice with Darcy/Ted, both of them have become friends as years passed. I had a fantastic deal on my Tametsugu, which was withdrawn from Christie's auctions. Ted sent his son to New York to get it back and sent it to me. Packing, Shipping, Customs, all went slick, sword was even shipped before payment. :)

Shipping status: it's fine Japan to USA, items are flowing and you don't need a direct flight. This item though was found in the USA, and sold to me. It stayed there and shipped to SA no problems by Fedex.

Jean: that was Ted S., "the other Ted" ... I think? Ted Tenold shipped this one to Brian.

The Full Blown Paranoia Shipping Ensemble Mark III traces its roots back to the late Cary Condell. What he used to do, which is maybe a trick he picked up elsewhere, was to wrap the sword in saran wrap before putting it into the shirasaya. You have to cut a skinny piece which is an art. This did a couple of things, first is that it stops rattling and vibration from marring the surface of the sword during surface legs of transit.

Second, a little less worry about getting wet.

Third, if a customs agent inspects it, no worries about fingerprints. Or if they put it down on a table less chance of scratching.

Since I had a lot of cross border shipping back in the day I ended up figuring out the harmonized tariff thing from customs brokers putting that code on every time something arrived as "antique sword" though there were other codes that got me dinged with taxes. I started working on the paranoid documentation from that. So many swords then were just shipping with say "antique sword" on the outside and that often had people open them up, assess and put on some kind of code. So I started putting copies of the papers in with the waybill or on an envelope taped to the outside that said Customs. I made sure it was 9706.0000 tariff code (made the thread here on it), and I put in some basic translation usually written into the copies of the papers. This is mostly so they had assurance that it was truly an antique and not just "me saying it" on the outside of the box.

The discovery was that every additional bit of paperwork and explanation you made in advance had a huge cumulative effect in fewer problems. Ultimately the goal is that they don't have to open the box, and if they don't open the box, then the sword is not going to get damaged or stolen.

Ted started putting extra copies on the inside for that bonus paranoia as it does happen that boxes get separated from waybills and paper docs. I usually like to write the waybill number in black marker on the box as well because of this.

It's Brian's to post if/when he's ready so up to him.

Everything that Darcy pointed out is spot on. I learned of the plastic wrap thing from Bob Benson many years ago. I added some of my own elements of protection and prevention also. I also write the tracking number on the outside of the package in two opposed locations. Sometimes the paperwork can get damaged, lost, wet, or stripped and then they'd have to open to the package. If the number is on the outside, they can still reference it and reprint a label or waybill without having to do so. Emailing the paperwork to the recipient is a matter of completing the communication circle for all involved so if customs or the carrier contacts the recipient, questions can be answered between them with the same documents in hand.

It all takes a fair amount of time to generate, collate, and organize, but ends up making things much smoother in the end. On occasion there is a hiccup, but it's usually because of things way beyond normal control, and a knowledge of a particular country's proclivity for certain problems or concerns arms you with the ability to make appropriate additions or adjustments to a shipment destined to that country. It's an ever evolving and changing environment so we have to constantly stay informed. In general though, more paperwork is better. It's the staple food of bureaucracies, so feeding the machine is by and large a healthy approach. There are also a variety of details such as export filing requirements, import and export fees, etc., that have to be considered, and certain countries do things in just randomly weird ways. As an example; one country requires the weight of the import item to be declared by "hundred kilo" and no other way. :?

@ Jean; If I remember correctly, I contacted a trusted friend to pick it up and ship it to me, and then I shipped it to you. I don't have a son, though it would be nice to have a genetically indentured servant once in a while. :)

Another kudos for Ted, I just got back from Japan the restored original saya and tsuka that came with the Shimada Den Katana I bought from him at the San Francisco show the last year. All my dealings with Ted wether they be a polish, restoration or purchase have been a pleasure and I look forward to continued dealings with him.

Regards

Art Torano :clap:

Ted and Darcy are both class acts - never actually purchased anything from either (yet) but they have been more than helpful and happy to share their knowledge (which is vast) and help those of us that do not get access to the many blades in hand that others do. It is the generosity of folks in the hobby and the business who are so willing to lend a hand that lets us all grow and continue to enjoy the blades. :clap: :clap:

The "Ted's son" thing threw me for a loop heh.

Me too. Would his son be "Luke" and daughter "Leia"?

Joking...

Learned the saran wrap from Condell & Tenold-san. Learned the Harmonized Trariff and a host of other things from Darcy.

Having received some items from Tenold-san in the last year, must say he's taken packing to an artform.

Few people will move Heaven and Earth for you as these two do. Taking cues from their dedication and effort, I've tried to 'pay it forward' as they do.

Inevitably someone bites you anyway, but still these two gentlemen lead with their efforts.

Learning from them, I care about the hobby and try to emulate.

Tough act to follow.

I couldn't agree more, both Darcy and Ted are absolutely great guys. I have done business with both and could not ask for anyone easier to work with. Both are willing to share their vast knowledge and go out of their way for others. :beer: :beer:

Started using the customs invoice with photos and description along with proper tariff codes long ago thanks to Darcy. Still getting good tips frpom them, like in this thread. Never thought to add additional set inside just in case or writing the tracking # directly on the box.

I do generally write the address directly on the box with a permanent marker, in the event the label is damaged or destroyed.

Hi Brian,

Congratulations on you sword purchase from Darcy and Ted. Anything I have seen they have been associated with is very high end nihonto and tosogu and way above my pay grade in the US government. From your post in the tosogu forum your sword also has very nice fittings. Always very important on any nice nihonto. You do realize you can no longer use the "I don't have money" excuse anymore as you clearly do. Either that or you have been putting all those donations to NMB to one very good use. :badgrin:

P.S. The above post was intended as transcultural sarcastic humor. This will likely get my NMB account deleted. It's always better to go out laughing. :rotfl:

P.S. The above post was intended as transcultural sarcastic humor. This will likely get my NMB account deleted. It's always better to go out laughing. :rotfl:

Suggest you work harder on getting a sense of humor that works Or maybe you are trying hard to have that account deleted?

For the record, there is no way I could have afforded to purchase this wakizashi. I will not get into this, as it is no-one's business. But the deal that Darcy worked out for me does not involve me outlaying any funds. It was a deal involving other resources that are not NMB related and more in my favour than Darcy's. Call it a trade of unrelated goods for which I am very grateful to him for.

Oh, and for the record David, NMB contributions are kept in a separate PP account and only used for forum expenses. Not withstanding the fact that we are down over 50% from last year and will likely not be able to purchase the upgraded software soon. :doubt:

Brian

Hi Brian,

My sense of humor is fine just wasn't aware of your current situation in terms of funding for NMB and other problems. You might have posted about it and I missed it. I am moving around a very little bit of money and will send you a donation by year's end even if nothing is sold.

David,

There's no problem, and I don't like posting about it. We always have enough to cover all expenses thanks to a few regular contributors and there is no crisis. Just not an excess to be able to upgrade a few things that would allow for more pm space for everyone and a better host and software. But we are good and not in any danger. But suggesting board money is used for other purposes is just plain :bang:

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..