Which Honami?

Darcy

This is on a 1928 dated shirasaya and is not Honami Koson (or his standard one anyway). It is close to what would seem to be an earlier Kao for Koson that is listed in Yamanaka though not a perfect match. So, I'm thinking that either it is very early Koson or else Honami Koga but that is just a guess.

Anyone have a reference that matches?

post-10-1419695357617_thumb.jpg

That's a little bit confusing quoting it like that lol, I wasn't sure who was replying.

The first one is the one that looks like this kao but it is not the same.

This sword passed Juyo under Dr. Honma's care and then passed Tokubetsu Juyo, both in agreement with the sayagaki. So the situation is interesting.

Koson‘s later kao is well documented, whether as sayagaki, kinpun- or shu-mei and also from his origami. The early kao seems to be a rare finding. The two examples which Morita san has posted as reply in another topic are from Nakahara‘s book.

I add a last example for comparison, however this is not certified.

Eric

post-369-14196953797746_thumb.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..