Introduction and My first sword

Caoimhin

Hello Everyone,

I will lead off with a little info about me first. I have been collecting WW2 militaria, mainly American and German, for about 10 years now. Not too seriously just a little here and there when I could afford it. Well for a long time I wanted a Japanese sword from the war, preferably a capture/trophy one. I had been scared to get one for a while because of the prices and all the fakes I heard about, but I finally found one for a decent price (at least in my book) at the right time. So about a month ago I was able to acquire my first sword, and have been endlessly intrigued with it and the search for more information about it.

Secondly, I will show off the sword. Please let me know what you guys think and any information on it that you might be able to provide. I love the history behind it and think that its pretty awesome to know the name of the soldier who carried it into battle. That fact is probably the coolest thing about it. I posted some pics to the translation thread to confirm the mei and figure out whose it was during the war. Thanks again to those guys who spent time on it for me.

The smith is Ikami Sadahiro. Can anyone provide any information on him? I have found some conflicting info on that name and don't know what to think. I believe it was made during the war but thats about it. Any thoughts on machine made vs traditional? I can't find any stamp marks on it so that won't help. The saya is in rough shape and looks pretty crude so I was thinking it was late war. I will post some more pics after I get them sized properly along with a bunch more questions. Also can someone recommend a book for the wartime swords?

Many thanks,

Kevin F.

post-5323-14196952892797_thumb.jpg

post-5323-14196952896435_thumb.jpg

post-5323-14196952900294_thumb.jpg

post-5323-14196952903373_thumb.jpg

post-5323-14196952907368_thumb.jpg

Here are some more photos of the nakago. Does anyone know what the two painted kanji are? I thought that they might be a date.

I have attached another bigger photo of the label, I am afraid its in pretty poor shape and my pic is not that great either. So are you saying that this label was put on by the maker? I did not know what it was, and figured I would not get to find out what it was because of the unreadability of it.

Also any advice on replacement parts? I think it is missing some parts for the saya.

Thanks,

Kevin F.

post-5323-14196953034116_thumb.jpg

post-5323-14196953036277_thumb.jpg

post-5323-14196953040168_thumb.jpg

post-5323-14196953044346_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi

Glad you got your sword,a good start.

The paint on the nakago,is probably assembly marks,encountered in blue,yellow,red, it helped parts assembly of tsuba, and tsuka,handle etc,at the selected outfitters. I believe this is their purpose.

As for parts you could have a leather saya made,it's cheaper and will look good if made well.

Leather sayas turn up,but really it's a hit and miss,finding one that fits.

I personally think leather sayas are excellent and yours definitely had one, the saya is textbook for leather covering.

The habaki looks an older type,than many ww2 swords I have seen,but I don't know, as the smith is unfamiliar.

The label you refer to is a sword part shop,they appear on painted sayas sometimes.

I hope you get the saya covered, and the sword looks decent.

Good luck and best regards.

Ian Bellis

Must have posted wrong,

The top sword is by kuniie, it has a leather sword cover,but type 98 saya in grass green,can't upload bigger picture, sorry Thomas,and Kevin for poor photo,

It is a leather saya though, then 2 type 98 sayas.

It was only to give an idea.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..