MATCHLOCK and Tsuba

BIG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter.

No one seems keen to comment so here goes. You are right, tanegashima on sword fittings seem rare, I can recall one tsuba and a few fuchi that I have seen.

Your eyesight must be good to see that as a tanegashima, given the blurred detail. No disrespect to Pablo but I note that he does not mention the tsuba in his description of the sword and while I am conscious that it is too easy to call "cast" from a photo the quality, or lack of it, of this tsuba and the feeling of the seppa dai make me wonder.

If I can remember where I saw the others I will scan them for you later.

All the best.

Dear Peter & Geraint,

I have grave doubts about this tsuba depicting a Tanegashima. Even given Artistic License, ... unless the tsuba is signed Picasso that the object depicted is a firearm. The wrapping on the handle ( barrel ?? ) appears more like one might find on a broom. I don't recognize the theme, ... just my opinion.

... Ron Watson

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..