TEPPO NOMENCLATURE

Morning all.,

Answering my own observation, so to speak, I notice in my snaps, that the general term for the lock mechanisms depicted is Karakuri.

Here's an interesting aside to Karakuri and perhaps what happened to many gun mechanism makers during the Edo period:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karakuri_puppet

http://pinktentacle.com/2006/01/edo-per ... -in-Japan/

Cheers

Redid the whole picture and the descriptions. Can someone check it, and suggest any changes?

Also would like to add the flash hole if someone knows the translation.

Can add the kanji if and when we have them available.

Thanks all working on it.

Brian

Eric (Brian actually), on your chart there, Yojintetsu needs no u after the Y. (Yo of yojin is like the yo in "Yo dude!")

Jiita is two words, pronounced as two words, ie Ji-ita.

Also the Shibahiki butt-guard is one word, meaning lawn-dragger, (not alternative words). Shiba-hiki is also possible.

PS One question that has long bothered me. For Byo we usually say 'rivet', but as it is not fixed in place or hammered tight from the other side, and is designed to be pushed in and taken out regularly, would 'stud' not be a better word? (cf Dome headed blind rivet pin, etc.)

Brian, I added the rectangular sling hole to your version of the chart, as for "flash pan hole" how about "hizara-ana"?

c8c2240740428ba76c20fcea18b8e1ca.jpg

Here is the latest version with a few added descriptions and definitions. Also added the forward dougane. Does this not serve a slightly different purpose to the rear one, and are the both called the same thing?

I didn't add the rectangular sling hole as it is just a variation of a listed feature, and we cannot list every variation such as muzzle shape, trigger shape, style of lockplate etc etc.

Let me know if anything else needs editing and/or adding.

Brian

Tanegashima4.jpg

Dear Brian,

I have now updated the original list of parts taking into consideration YOUR diagram. I have had no more emails with additions to the TYPES of Teppo nor to the list of Accessories, ... nor the Bullet chart. I think it maybe wise to leave it as a thread for a couple more days before converting to a PDF file just in case someone comes up with something new ??

... Ron

Now that is a difficult question, Eric. It seems to be a general word, not specific to Hinawa-Ju, and the purpose seems to be debatable, ie for carrying or for tying/security. I will double-check on this, but don't hold high hopes. Sawada San does not give a specific name for it and none of the illustrations I have seen do either. Above in the Seki Ryu Ozutsu pic, the arrowed explanation says it is a screw to fix the trigger guard and barrel, but although pointing at the ring it does not use a word for it.

On the other hand you can describe it, and people will nod their heads wisely.

First of all it is a Wa or Kan, written . This may be the closest correct word.

You could also use the English word Ring, ie リング. There is another general word for ring, ie Wa, which would be understood, but often people say Wakka ワッカ, ie 'a little ringy thingy'.

Secondly it is fixed to the underside of the stock, in front of the trigger guard, so you can run J Google searches using those terms, but they do not bring up a fixed image or word.

There is one term that I found Sawada San using when describing one of the imported guns of the Bakumatsu. It is a Western gun, with a ring in front of the trigger guard, but in this case the purpose is known, ie for fixing a shoulder sling. If you use the word he uses, you then declare to the world that this ring was used for carrying, and it may have WWII connotations, so we need to be a little careful. He says Tan-ju-kan 担銃環 ie post ring for carrying sling.

Piers, any luck with this ring, there must be some name for it, this is a commonly seen part.

a018f7d695495f1444be547cd68706d5.jpg

No Eric, my answer was as complete as I could make it.

You can call it 環 Wa/Kan, (just like on J Katchu and Kabuto) or more colloquially ワッカ "Wakka" (little ring) and no-one will complain.

On this chart you can see the word Kan/wa 環 used to indicate the rings, on the back of the helmet and on the back of the Do.

http://kosyo--chui-milia.up.n.seesaa.ne ... =a13702248

If you can find a Japanese chart with a more detailed word, (such as 担銃環 sling post ring), I will translate it for you.

On the other hand I will be seeing someone tomorrow and will run this by him. :)

No Eric, my answer was as complete as I could make it. If you can find a Japanese chart with a more detailed word, (such as 担銃環 sling post ring), I will translate it for you. On the other hand I will be seeing someone tomorrow and will run this by him. :)
Thanks Piers, as fastidious as the Japanese are about labeling every part its hard to imagine that this ring was overlooked.

8970c7640e63c88204a9ae28db0df66b.jpg

Hi Eric, thanks for the find! Unfortunately, what it says is 火縄下げの輪 'ring for hanging the Hinawa cord', which has to be an assumption by whoever drew the chart. In ten years of using these guns, no-one has ever suggested this might be the usage, but I am still open to anything that makes sense. Again, I will float this possibility too today, and collect opinions.

Just to repeat, if we label it as a ring, then 環 or 輪 (Kan/Wa) will be safe for the time being, without stating a specific purpose. Often you find such statements of the blindingly obvious in Japan! :lol:

Otherwise we could put, 'decorative ring', or 'seemingly useless ring' found on some Hinawa Ju matchlocks. :badgrin:

Just to add some merriment I have found this illustration which calls it a 叉銃環 Sajukan, or swivel ring, but not much of the rest of the drawing is either very detailed or very accurate. The idea is that it was used to stack guns in threes, like building a teepee or wigwam.

http://www.daitouryu.com/syokuyou/conte ... i_j12.html

http://www.daitouryu.com/syokuyou/conte ... t12_1b.jpg

I spoke to one of our teppo-tai members today, a metal artisan by trade, and he sucked his teeth long and hard. He didn't think much of the matchcord-holder idea, though. The brass ring not strong enough to hold a shoulder sling either. There is one more very knowledgeable person I will be seeing tomorrow.

My feeling is that not even one in five has such a ring, though.

Incidentally, Shigeo Sugawa is convinced that Hinawa Sage no Wa/Rin 火縄下げの輪 is the correct term and the correct explanation for its usage. He goes into some detail describing it, on p.48 of Book II in Japanese, but he gives no sources, and some of what he says there is not convincing to me personally. For example, use of the word Kuchigusuri for 口薬 Koyaku. (Not going to use the 'pinch of salt' expression this time!)

Dear Justin,

A plumb, ... is not required on a hand held firearm. It is sometimes used on a cannon as in a gunners quadrant. The strings you see in Japanese illustrations of a string from barrel to ground was a " supposed " device for firing at night so all gun/guns were at least pointed at a correct level and/or direction. The only level seen on firearms ( inevitably target firearms ) is a sideways level mounted on the front peep sight to correct for CANT ( avoiding the firearm being slanted either slightly left or right from the vertical ). As far as Fancy knots ( agemaki ) these belong on fancy Koshira and Katchu ... not generally associated with firearms. I think we have it right until definitively proved incorrect.

... Ron Watson

What a fantastic thread. I have been following it closely and must thank Ron, Piers and all the others who have contributed. Piers mentioned the lack of a suitable term for the tapered 'pins' that retain the lock into the stock. The term used by traditional gunsmiths in the UK is 'nails' since that is what were used before screw threads became more common. Even today a gunsmith will refer to side-nails when talking about the screws that hold the lock to the stock. Since these items function and hold in the wood by friction, in the same way as an ordinary nail does, perhaps 'lock nails' might be a suitable term.

Ian Bottomley

Just had a quick read on the London gunsmith usage of side nails. Started thinking about the differences nowadays between a pin and a nail, and one obvious one is that a pin can be pushed in whereas a nail requires a hammer, in the common consciousness. The Mekugi (literally 'Eye pin/nail') is something in between, can be pushed down from the top, and can be made of metal, wood, bamboo, horn, etc., but it is generally not sharp, and it does not make its own way through the wood to fix itself there like a traditional nail. Conceptually, the word pin may be more agreeable. One authoritative text did use the description 'side nails/pins', however.

'Taper(ed) pins' came up in some material I was reading. 'Retaining pins' or 'tapered retaining pins' have a good ring, but the Mekugi is used as a locking pin too, under barrels, in sword hilts, etc., not just in side locks. I would never presume to referee between Ron and Ian, though, especially in the choice of an English gunnery word. Me, I prefer to escape to another island and stick with the good old Japanese end of things! :lol:

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..