TEPPO NOMENCLATURE

Dear All,

I thought it might be time to make a list of PARTS, ... ACCESSORIES, ... TYPES, ... BULLETS, ... ETC. for the Japanese MATCHLOCK ( TANEGASHIMA TEPPO, HINWA-JU ) in Japanese with English translation. I have been hesitant to overuse Japanese terminology as it pertains to the matchlock due to the fact that many of these words are so obscure that I dare say even the average Japanese has no idea of their meaning let alone Occidentals. Another reason is in most cases their is an English word that most who have any interest in firearms will understand immediately. I also detest Elitism which goes hand in hand with the use of a $ 10.00 word when a 10 cent word would have sufficed and made reading a whole lot easier. We also want to generate interest in this little known aspect of Japanese Art and people being people will bypass that which they do not understand upon initial reading and consequently miss an article which may well have kindled their interest.

Anyways it is also important that we are able to provide our readers with a quick reference to these Japanese words and their English equivalents. It is my hope that those perusing this Article/Thread will email me additional words I may have left out and email me with possibly correct spellings of any words I have misspelled.

... Ron Watson

MATCTHLOCK PARTS

Tsutsu or Jushin ......... Barrel

Dai ........................... Stock

Jiita .......................... Lock Plate

Karakuri .................... Lock

Karakuri mekugi...........Lock Retaining Pin

Hibasami .................. Serpentine or Hammer

Ama-ooi ................... Barrel Protector ( rain protector but also acts as a flash protector )

Ama-ooi Kusabi ......... Barrel Protector Wedge

Hajiki ....................... Spring

Dougane .................. Stock Ring

Hibuta ...................... Pan Cover

Hizara ...................... Pan Tray

Hikigane .................. Trigger

Meate ...................... Sight

Moto Meate .............. Rear Sight

Saki Meate .............. Front Sight

Naka Meate .............. Middle S

Juko ( Suguchi ) ...... Muzzle

Karuka ( Sakujo ) .... Ramrod

Mekugi Ana .............. Pin Hole

Mekugi .................... Barrel retaining pin

Zagane ................... Barrel retaining pin escutcheon

Udenuki no Ana ........ Sling Hole

Byo ......................... Rivet

Hinawa Toushi Ana ... Match Cord Hole

Shiba - Hikigane ....... Butt Protector

Yuojintetsu .............. Trigger Guard

Mei ......................... Signature

Bisen ...................... Breech Plug

Niju Makibari ........... Two Wraps or Double Layer

So-Makibari ............. Thrice Wrapped / Triple Bound

Koji ( Kouji ) ............ Outer most part of barrel ( strengthening or decorative surround )

Daikabu .................. Stock Butt

Himichi ................... Vent ( re: Flashpan )

Kanime ................... Sear ( serpentine release )

Ibo-kakushi ............. Sear Protector

Wasoku ................... Laynard hole

Wa/Kan....................Ring ( possibly for holding a suspended tool such as a vent pick )

TYPES OF GUNS

Ban-zutsu .................. Numbered Gun ( issued gun from arsenal )

O-zutsu ..................... Large Gun ( 30 monme and over )

Tan-Zutsu .................. Short Gun ( PISTOL )

Bajou-Zutsu ............... Carbine ( literally horseback gun )

Chu-zutsu .................. Medium Gun ( 6 - 10 monme )

Hazama-zutsu ............ Loophole Gun

Kan-uchi ju ................ Percussion Gun

Taihou ....................... Cannon

Bo-hiya ...................... Fire Arrow

Hiya-zutsu ................. Fire Arrow Gun

Hiya Taihou ................ Fire Arrow Cannon

Kayaku-Dameshi ......... Powder Tester

Shateki-Zutsu..............Target Gun

ACCESSORIES

Hinawa ............................... Match Cord

Hinawa-ire ........................... Cord Container

Dogu ................................... Tool

Seseri .................................. Pick

Koyaku-ire ............................ Priming Powder Flask

Kayaku-ire ............................ Powder Flask

Hiuchi-dogu ( Hokuchi )........... Lighting Devices

Hayago ................................. Quick Loading Tube

Doran ................................... Waist Belt Box

Hayago-doran ........................ Box for Quick Loading Tubes

Tama-igata ............................ Bullet Mold

Tama-inabe .......................... Lead Ladl

Danyaku-bako ....................... Shooting Box

Muneate ............................... Cloth Chest Protector

Tama-Ire .............................. Ball Storage Bag

BULLET SIZES

MONME .................... WT. GRAINS ........................ CALIBER .. mm ........................... CALIBER .. inch

1 .................................. 59 .................................. 8.7 ............................................ .34

2 ................................. 111 ................................ 10.7 ........................................... .42

3 ................................. 165 ................................ 12.3 ........................................... .48

4 .................................. 220 ................................ 13.5 ........................................... .53

5 .................................. 280 ................................ 14.6 ............................................ .57

6 .................................. 335 ................................ 15.5 ............................................ .61

7 .................................. 400 ................................ 16.2 ............................................ .64

8 .................................. 460 ................................ 17.0 ............................................ .67

9 .................................. 510 ................................ 17.7 ............................................ .70

10 .................................. 550 ................................ 18.3 ............................................ .72

20 ................................ 1100 ............................... 23.1 ............................................ .91

30 ................................ 1725 ............................... 26.5 .......................................... 1.04

100 ................................ 5000 ............................... 39.5 .......................................... 1.56

Ron,

Thanks for the list of terms. I am sure it will help people that are just getting started. As someone who wants to understand more about the parts and why they are there, etc, I think understanding the Japanese term provides a deeper understanding.

Ama-ooi you have as barrel protector, which to the average laymen may be a good use of the word, but as you well know know, if you really what to know what the Japanese intended for it to protect against, I think you need to understand the Japanese term. In Japanese Ama-ooi 雨おおい means rain guard. So you get a better understanding of what the Japanese intended the part to be.

When additions/corrections have been made I suggest that a pdf be created and put on the board for download. That way all the information will be available on any machine in one file. Ron thanks for the efforts that you have put into this and for your many posts on tanegeshima and restoration. I appreciate what you continue to do.

Dear All,

I agree with Brian ... a visual guide would be of considerable help. Unfortunately I am Computer illiterate. I know on page 7 of Sugawa 's English book ... The Japanese Matchlock ... there is a detailed drawing showing most of the applicable parts and labeled in Japanese and English. I do not know whether copying this exact drawing would be considered a copyright violation or not ? I have seen it reproduced on various image sites on the internet, so perhaps there is no problem. I will if no one posts a drawing in the meantime post one myself in about a week or so when my grandson is here for a weekend. I will however do the drawing myself.

... Ron Watson

Dear All,

I agree with Brian ... a visual guide would be of considerable help. Unfortunately I am Computer illiterate. I know on page 7 of Sugawa 's English book ... The Japanese Matchlock ... there is a detailed drawing showing most of the applicable parts and labeled in Japanese and English. I do not know whether copying this exact drawing would be considered a copyright violation or not ? I have seen it reproduced on various image sites on the internet, so perhaps there is no problem. I will if no one posts a drawing in the meantime post one myself in about a week or so when my grandson is here for a weekend. I will however do the drawing myself.

... Ron Watson

Ron, something like this?

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/origi ... 4e9f28.jpg

6de1e1b4f4dd8eb01c8a71c15e4e9f28.jpg

Dear Eric,

Thank you, ... YES ! I almost forgot you are a Computer WIZZ. Me, ... my grandson makes me look like an idiot. Computers and I do not click. He loses patience trying to teach me how to edit photographs, etc. I asked Justin by PM if he might possibly do this job as I believe he too is competent on Computers. I hope he sees it in time. I'll PM him right now to tell him its a fait accompli.

... Ron Watson

Redid the whole picture and the descriptions. Can someone check it, and suggest any changes?

Also would like to add the flash hole if someone knows the translation.

Can add the kanji if and when we have them available.

Thanks all working on it.

Brian

Tanegashima4.jpg

Redid the whole picture and the descriptions. Can someone check it, and suggest any changes?

Brian

Brian, are you sure that there is no way to add a "like" feature to the forum? This looks good, thanks.

Brian

This may be of some help (or possibly confuse you).

dce072ba225dc8671c669e0e80198e0c.jpg

meisyou.jpg

karakuri.jpg

hinawajyu_tokutyou.jpg

349.jpg

kaisetu.JPG

e0040579_1595429.gif

NB Ron's list has those little updated spelling corrections that the image doesn't. (Sugawa used old-fashioned Romanization in his book, and his final editing throughout was sloppy.)

I.e. Sakujo for Sakujuo, Byo for Biyo, Udenuki no ana, etc.

At the same time he should be given the credit he deserves for being just about the only Japanese national who makes any attempt to communucate his knowledge to Westerners, something which appears to be frowned on by some in the Japanese matchlock collecting communuty.

Now we start to get into difficulties. Different schools of gunnery called things by different names. We were simply after generalized names to begin with, but if you compare the charts above you will see some differences.

For example although the trigger guard is Yojintetsu (Not you or yuo), with Seki guns (see the long snaky trigger guard) they are called Yojingane, or Saru-watari, or monkey slide.

PS The vent hole is generally called the Himichi or 火道 literally 'fire path'.

PPS There are several other words in the charts we have not listed yet. For example, Daikabu for butt, Kanime (crab's eye) for the moving/protruding tip of the serpentine catch, Ibo-kakushi (wart hider) for the distinctively-shaped little standing screen, piece of metal that hides it, and Wasoku ana, lanyard hole, etc.

Dear Piers,

I will edit the list to add : Daikabu .... Butt, ... also Himichi .... Vent, also Kanime, .... Sear ....

along with the other words you have listed as few people know the English equivalent of some of these such as Ibo-kakushi (Sear protector )

Wasoku for Laynard hole. Anymore ... simply email me so I can Edit/Update the lists.

... Ron Watson

PS. Brian ... a much better drawing with corrected/updated words . I will given its early morning here look it over word for word to note any errors to the best of my ability. I would like to thank ALL those who have corrected spellings ( Piers ), ... re-done the major drawing ( Brian ). This should be a worthwhile project once completed. Any additional words/corrections please email me at : watsonr@mts.net

Eric look at the round one next to it. Needs one more black line drawn there. You get round or rectangular, but not both. Ude nuki no Ana, or sometimes Ude nuki no Kan, sling hole, or more precisely for passing string/cord for binding to forearm when on horseback. Usually an indication of a cavalry gun.

Eric look at the round one next to it. Needs one more black line drawn there. You get round or rectangular, but not both. Ude nuki no Ana, or sometimes Ude nuki no Kan, sling hole, or more precisely for passing string/cord for binding to forearm when on horseback. Usually an indication of a cavalry gun.

c5a77af7f0149935183a773a4424cf75.jpg

Thanks Piers, I was not sure if they were the same, what about the ring underneath near the trigger?

Now that is a difficult question, Eric. It seems to be a general word, not specific to Hinawa-Ju, and the purpose seems to be debatable, ie for carrying or for tying/security. I will double-check on this, but don't hold high hopes. Sawada San does not give a specific name for it and none of the illustrations I have seen do either. Above in the Seki Ryu Ozutsu pic, the arrowed explanation says it is a screw to fix the trigger guard and barrel, but although pointing at the ring it does not use a word for it.

On the other hand you can describe it, and people will nod their heads wisely.

First of all it is a Wa or Kan, written . This may be the closest correct word.

You could also use the English word Ring, ie リング. There is another general word for ring, ie Wa, which would be understood, but often people say Wakka ワッカ, ie 'a little ringy thingy'.

Secondly it is fixed to the underside of the stock, in front of the trigger guard, so you can run J Google searches using those terms, but they do not bring up a fixed image or word.

There is one term that I found Sawada San using when describing one of the imported guns of the Bakumatsu. It is a Western gun, with a ring in front of the trigger guard, but in this case the purpose is known, ie for fixing a shoulder sling. If you use the word he uses, you then declare to the world that this ring was used for carrying, and it may have WWII connotations, so we need to be a little careful. He says Tan-ju-kan 担銃環 ie post ring for carrying sling.

Nice find, Justin, including the three main types of lock mechanism.

Eric, on your chart there, Yojintetsu needs no u after the Y. (Yo of yojin is like the yo in "Yo dude!")

Jiita is two words, pronounced as two words, ie Ji-ita.

Also the Shibahiki butt-guard is one word, meaning lawn-dragger, (not alternative words). Shiba-hiki is also possible.

PS One question that has long bothered me. For Byo we usually say 'rivet', but as it is not fixed in place or hammered tight from the other side, and is designed to be pushed in and taken out regularly, would 'stud' not be a better word? (cf Dome headed blind rivet pin, etc.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..