new addition sword fun kantei

1tallsword

hey folks. thought i would share my latest addition. I plan on sending it for papers but thought it would be fun to see your opinions and thoughts on school,period and possible maker. it is mumei o-suriage ..nagasa is 28 inches, nakago is 8.5 inches., 36.5 inches total length.blade has been shortened about 7 inches or so, original nagasa would be about 34-35 inches by my opinion. has three mekugi anna, one at nakago jiri. flash washes color out but rust is a deep patina with black at jiri. sori is more towards nakago end. motohaba is 1 1/4 inches motokasane is 5/16 of an inch. kissaki is 2 inches. lets here your thoughts folks... i want to have some fun with this, enjoy :D sorry about the full length pic, its distorted a little and not good.

post-4476-14196947413255_thumb.jpg

post-4476-14196947414442_thumb.jpg

post-4476-14196947417049_thumb.jpg

post-4476-14196947419086_thumb.jpg

post-4476-1419694742181_thumb.jpg

post-4476-14196947423251_thumb.jpg

Jeremy,

We need clear, focused pictures to make guesses. But, be that as it may, I will throw my dart at the board: nambokucho jidai, Bizen tradition, Kozori school. Nice sword with great fittings. Congrats!

Regards,

Hoanh

That is a nice sword.

I think it is Soden Bizen and best guess is around Motoshige at the top end. Would like to see the boshi clear. When not awake and strange times and with a good photo.

You have a wide circle around there Kozori is one but I think this looks better quality than that. Masamitsu, Kanemitsu possible. Omiya. Wide circle there at the end of the Nanbokucho in Osafune. Good swords, looks healthy.

• 4 months later...

UPDATE FOLKS..... I have been provided with found paper work from the previous deceased owners son. this sword was his fathers that passed away and as long back as he can recall his father owned it. it was purchased by him sometime before 1977..the date and how he came to own it is unclear.it has been  stored away  until his passing and his son discovering it and selling it to me.  just a little history there for you folks..... anyway the paper work suggests the sword to be made by owari  kanenobu  1317-1331. my research has fallen short of any info really on this smith other than his school was Kaneuji I believe and father was Kunitsugu I believe. your thoughts,opinions and any info you have on this smith would be great. I have not be successful finding a picture of one of this smiths swords for compare and study to mine.  thank you in advance.

post-2344-0-48993300-1427487707_thumb.jpg

post-2344-0-31122100-1427487717_thumb.jpg

Man must have been an insomnia night for me. I don't even remember writing the above. 

My second look which I thought was my first, made me think Iwami Sadatsuna. I agree with myself before that it is nicely forged and is showing nice jigane and chikei. The hamon, I can see where I was thinking a bit of Motoshige or maybe Omiya. It's a good sword though, good pickup.

There is a well regarded line of Kanenobu smiths from the Kaneuji group in Mino in O'an (1368-75) (兼信).

I would defer to the NBTHK appraiser who, if the paperwork is to be believed, apparently actually handled the sword...

Do you have a kantei-sho or only this handwritten paper? The paper was written by a Japanese- possibly a representative of the NBTHK.

thank you to all who have tuned in. Darcy, I have had a few of those nights myself ;-) very Interesting comments and opinions. Chris, I was not provided with a kantei-sho ,  only this hand written paper. thank you for shedding a little light on the kanenobu smith line, as well as a possible source for this paper. judging by the date someone wrote in the top right corner its safe to say this was written sometime in or before 1973. cheers  

HMMM. very Interesting chris. excuse me for my ignorance and lack of education on this paper. might I ask a couple questions...the paper states Kyushu appraiser association, were they a group that strictly appraised swords or all items?   whom were they ? and did they have any ties to the museum? thank you.

No idea who or what the Kyushu Appraiser Association is, but the bottom says clearly states in Japanese what I mentioned above. There seems to be some connection between the sword, the paperwork, and the NBTHK/Ueno National Museum...

As I said in my previous post, considering the translation of the Japanese paper and its added annotation:

- the date mentionned: Kanenobu 1317 is not coherent with him being a student of Kaneuji

- it is not Owari (wonder where it comes from?)

- Should it be the sue Nambokucho smith mentionned by Chris, he is not a Seki smith but a Naoeshizu one

The Meikan lists this smith as being a Naoe Shizu smith, from Mino, student of Kaneuji, from O'an (1368-75). This paper was written ostensibly in 1973, 2 years before the Meikan was published. So some other source was used for the info on the paper above. Who knows where it came from...I think the important take away about it is it was attributed to a Naoe Shizu group smith, not Bizen, and Nanbokucho period, by people who had it in hand and who should know something about what they are looking at...I think it's a reasonable start. :beer:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..