First time/post on board and need help with trans...

stormwolf17

Hey folks, so I'm new here and this is my first message :)

Anyway, trying to do research for a friend of mine, he does contracting on houses.

As a bonus payment, a customer/homeowner gave him a sword that was laying in the attic.

They believe it was in that attic for roughly 40 years.. Who knows for certain if that is a fair and accurate assessment..

Anyway, here are the pics.

Sorry they are all of the same side, only one side had markings.

Just added a few pictures, but can't get them any clearer than that..

post-5301-14196947109155_thumb.jpg

post-5301-14196947111382_thumb.jpg

post-5301-14196947114154_thumb.jpg

Martin mentioned the province where it was made, the last two kanji are the makers name, check the kanji page above, they are quite easy to find and you will enjoy the research.

let us know what you find and we can provide more information

welcome to the forum Ryan. as mentioned in previous posts check the kanji pages section on here. the last two mei are the maker. this should be an easy beginner one for you as the last kanji is very popular.please try the kanji pages and if no luck here is what i see

tadayuki

welcome to the forum Ryan. as mentioned in previous posts check the kanji pages section on here. the last two mei are the maker. this should be an easy beginner one for you as the last kanji is very popular.please try the kanji pages and if no luck here is what i see

tadayuki

Thank you :)

I finally matched the yuki symbol, so I was closing in on figuring part of it out.

Someone else asked here if the blade is dated... If it was dated, it was done so with the paint and that is faded. I read that sometimes they'd use both paint and etching to mark a blade. The etchings as viewed in this thread, are the only ones anywhere on the blade.

I wish I knew Japanese.... it faded from the family line during ww2, intend to learn it, but haven't found the time yet(excuses excuses?)

/Ryan

Ryan if you google what you have youll be able to fill in the blanks, your doing good. Better than newbies who throw a fit for being asked to try. well done.

Thank you :).

I genuinely want to learn and the only way you learn, is by doing yourself.. I just needed a prod in the right direction.

Plus, throwing a fit would take a lot of both our times and get me nowhere fast!

It would be like :bang:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..