For my viewing pleasure.

I know - oiled and in Shirasaya, wrapped in silk sword bag and locked in a dark cabinet till the next time they are cleaned and re-oiled - well - sorry - spent too much time getting them together and in my possession to do that - so - cleaned oiled low humidity LED lights locked glass and I can see them from the chair I watch TV in. In my man cave so protected as well but - seriously - can they be damaged really badly by being "on VIew" for me ??

post-539-14196945169868_thumb.jpg

post-539-14196945185736_thumb.jpg

Hi Brain.

I think they look gorgeous! However, though I can't speak for the ones inside the case I think you might find you have a problem with the two on top unless you keep them safely in shirasaya.

All I can tell you is that it wouldn't work where I am. Love the ken by the way.

All the best.

Brian,

Great display cabinet, it shows them off nicely.

Curious, what are the dimensions of the cabinet ? I have been thinking of having something similar built for my study.

Also, who did your sword stands, they are very nice as well.

Ed

Thanks Gentlemen:

The cabinet is Oak 3/4" plywood , built by a friend with adjustable shelves, and is roughly 5 1'2 feet high and 4" wide. The lights are 12 volt LED panels though a single 12V transformer with an on-off switch.

The sword stands are pine, with several coats of automotive paint and clear coat - made them myself - one flat with small rubber stick on feet and two uprights with areas to support the blade and koshire that are lined with felt.

The Ken is SUE TEGAI and the Naginata is Higo Dotanuki Matahachi 1580's - there are better pics on the site if you want to do a search

http://www.nihontomessageboard.com/nmb/ ... be4#p46835

post-539-14196945202773_thumb.jpg

Hi Brian, very nice secure display. I don't see anything wrong with displaying your swords like you do, after all, it is done in nihonto museums in Japan.

May I add a couple of comments...I would be inclined to display the nakago/mei as well?

Just one word of caution to those who follow. Speaking as a former museum person can I say do not use any "compressed and glued" types of chipboard for your cabinets...the glue gives off a vapour, and over the years it can become detrimental to your blades, bags, papers and fittings. While there may be "neutral" products I am not aware of, I would urge the use of naturally seasoned wood. No glue, no vapour.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for sharing Brian.

Ken:

Not very humid here but it does go up in winter due to the "tightness" of the building construction so I ordered a "Dry-rod" just in case - and Uechi - full alarm system 0 very low crime rate. Thanks for the tips in any event.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..