Tsuba presentation at J.C.C.C. Token Kai by Kevin Adams

b.hennick

I wanted to share with you the tsuba made by Kevin Adams presented at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre Token Kai meeting. These tsuba are now on display at the Dark Horse Expresso Bar at 682 Queen Street Toronto Ontario Canada. Kevin showed us some of the tools that he uses and the tsuba that he made. I hope that enjoy this as much as the assembled members did. They were indeed very well received. Not only is the work strong but it has shown and continues to show great and rapid growth. First Kevin then tools and work....

post-46-14196945063138_thumb.jpg post-46-14196945078202_thumb.jpg post-46-14196945085367_thumb.jpg post-46-14196945104111_thumb.jpg post-46-14196945118216_thumb.jpg post-46-14196945126202_thumb.jpg

The tsuba shots are great! I look like hell! Sounds about right, since I had finished the group just the day before. :P

Thanks for the kind words, everyone, it's been a long and challenging 4.5 months of work.

The reason for making these pieces was to hold a small exhibition of my work in a local gallery space. I was very interested (still am, actually) in trying to bring the aesthetic peculiarities of tsuba to a wider audience, and to this end selected what I consider to be some of the more recognizable motifs in Akasaka work (with some Higo and Shoami thrown into the mix, just for fun).

By keeping the motifs recognizable and "accessible", cultural idiosyncrasy becomes less of a barrier, and the work becomes more like a painting or a photograph, especially when framed and stuck on a wall. A "lay" viewer is then armed with knowledge of context (sword guard) and subject matter, allowing a more full and open appreciation of the work through contemplation of composition and technique. The show has only been up since Monday and I've already had some wonderful chats with complete strangers who aren't "swordy-types" about the work.

These aren't really "utsushi" though, at least not in the complete sense that I consider to be the proper definition. I haven't gone to the effort of studying the iron used in the extant examples, I was more interested in studying the execution of the piercing and carving. While these are based on published examples, I have deviated a bit on a few, where I thought it would be interesting to do so. For example, the Four Seasons tsuba is published in the Sasano Gold Book, but the detail work is exclusively kebori. There was a wonderful opportunity to push the carved details further than might be seen on Akasaka work. Same with the Pine Tree tsuba - the carving on the needles is more typical of later work than on the published example. Again, an opportunity to push the motif a bit further. But some, like the 3 Cranes tsuba, is a faithful reproduction of the original reference. I didn't see the need to "push" it. Arnold, I hope this answers your question.

Once the furor dies down a bit and my new website goes live I'll make a sale posting for these pieces, as they are for sale. A lot happening at the moment, these are interesting times! Thanks again. :)

Hi Kevin and Fred,

I just posted the best set of antique menuki for your 1st modern tadpole themed tsuba as a separate tosogu topic. Here is the link to the topic: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20519. Kevin your tsuba like my menuki does a wonderful job of capturing the movement and not just the overall form of the tadpole in the composition. :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let everyone know that the owners of the gallery space have graciously allowed me to keep the show up until the end of November. If you haven't had a chance to make it down yet, you have a bit more time. Please come by, support an artist and a local business!

Also, I'd like to remind you all that these tsuba are for sale (listings in the Classifieds). Christmas is coming, you should treat yourself! ;)

i just can say,from mine own experience and personal feeling....

Kevin does show us here REALLY very nice and minutious work in fact !

i do feel amazed looking this kind of quality! (very honest!)

(i really do not want to know how much time and dedication is asked here ;) ) till up such an artobject got finnished....i but do guess 50-70 hours work here(without presightstudy?)

These all Tsuba look like an Tsuba shall look like in fact!

Good Tsuba!

All of them together!

very certainly no complaints at all!

Just all of them do vividly express quality and an great talent!

:clap:

Christian

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..