New Tsuba just doesn't fit the Nihonto

Widowmaker

Hello everyone, today I finally managed to put my 风林火山 tsuba on the kanehide nihonto.

However I just noticed that, I have a 0.15cm gap between the tsuba and the inferior seppa. I didn't have such as a gap before, it is certainly because of the thickness of the new tsuba.

post-5186-141969416622_thumb.jpg

So what should I do now? I just don't like the fact that things are not well assembled. Should I buy a pair of seppa which are thicker than before so that I don't have any gap? Or I should add a third seppa?

Please give me some advices please. Thank you very much in advance!!!

Hi Zhang.

The following options are open; make a single seppa to take up the slack in copper, most people will say that this is a give away of a changed tsuba though I do have one sword with an entirely authentic koshirae that has a single o seppa to make the mounting look right. Second and slightly better would be to either make a pair of new seppa to take up the slack, or even a pair of thin seppa to add to theones that already exist..

Then of course you have the cardboard option or a piece of leather, neither very satisfatory.

All the best.

Depending if this is going to be a user blade or not you can you use any material mentioned to make a seppa. If this is a user sword youre better off using a non compressable material for the seppa, such as copper or cardboard. Hope this helps.

Regards

Jeremy

This clearly demonstrates that replacing tsuba is an exact science. A while ago i had the opposite result, the tsuba i purchased was half of a mm too thick, so everything was too tight. As the habaki was solid silver i was able to file a skim off the back, being extra careful about removing any filings. An easier fix, but still a pain.

I've made leather spacers on several occasions to make tsuba fit properly without rattling. I place the leather "seppa" between the regular seppa and the tsuba. Works just fine. No rattle, no shake, tight fit.

Easy to make; just use the regular tsuba to draw an outline on the leather; cut it out and put it in place. Fine for both display and iaido.

Rich S

Seppa are basically 'shims' and can be added or subtracted according to taste. I often add/remove tsuba to suit the sword age, or sympathy with the existing fittings. Because of this I have a collection of different seppa to hand. They can be purchased easily and as modern items can be tailored to suit.

I don't use materiel seppa ever, but add new metals to either side of the tsuba, leaving your original seppa showing to both outsides of tsuba.

Whatever method you use, if you find the mekugi ana in tsuka and nakago don't line up, do not drive the mekugi to achieve this! You aim to end up with the mekugi being a stiff push in by your thumb, you are only fitting to avoid rattle.

I would add that if leather spacers were used, be sure they are from vegetable tanned leather. Many harmful chemicals are used for tanning leathers. These chemical salts could cause detrimental effects on metal fittings as well as the surface patina.

Zhang,

You usually do not see 'extra' seppa on Koshirae other than Tachi and Gunto (although there are always exceptions to the rule).

I would perhaps purchase some 'key fret' Seppa (http://www.Japanese-swords.com/pages/seppa.htm) as they are usually thicker than regular Seppa and will look better than a stack of Seppa.. A fine example are shown on this Katana.. http://www.ricecracker.com/inventory/74 ... ho_mon.htm

I have also seen a piece of metal added to the base of the Fuchi (or sometimes inside it, like a sleeve) to 'thicken' or raise the Fuchi to close the gap. Its hard to explain, but perhaps one of the members here has an example (photo) they could share.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Barrie B.

Although leather septa can tighten it up, I would worry that over a long period the leather will hold moisture and lead to rust or other changes in the metal. Some leathers are tanned and have chemicals that can damage soft metal tsubas. Although it doesn't help you in this instance, I have been in the habit of collecting seppa and now have a drawerful of them. I can usually find one or a pair with the correct thickness and ana size.

Heres a fuchi with rope on top , this is a sleve inside fuchi.

f86c2a704108fcedad2722c6f32fc5f2_zps44e3a86a.jpg

I never use leather or many seppas. I make a new pair in the correct size and thickness.

I never changes seppas if they are a pair and match the size of fuchi and saya, I would then change tsuba.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..