What is this? - Very bad amateur polish or just fake??

Jorgensen

Dear collectors,

Recently this wakizashi was showed to me and normally I have no doubt if its a fake blade or not, but this one I had a little difficult to figure out. At one side the hamon and other things screams fake at first look, but on the one hand the geometry of the blade and some other points is not that bad as seen on other fakes and the filemarks on top of nakago makes me wonder?? My thought is this maybe could be a overly cleaned/bad amatour polish (with acids involved perhaps) that makes kanji/horimoni/hamon looks worse/like this. Anyway - I turned the blade down, however this blade at some points got me doubtful. What do you folks say?

post-1540-14196941620536_thumb.jpg

post-1540-1419694162631_thumb.jpg

post-1540-14196941633207_thumb.jpg

post-1540-14196941639935_thumb.jpg

post-1540-14196941648853_thumb.jpg

post-1540-14196941655595_thumb.jpg

I'm definately no expert, but it looks as fake as they get to me. the munemachi looks aweful, and the difference in location of munemachi and hamachi is like 2 cm or something... I won't go into the rest...

I think your gut feeling was right, don't doubt it :lol: Also I see none of the filemarks that you mention

I would stay clear of this, good thing that you have too!

It depends on what you take 'fake' to mean. Yes it is a sword so its not fake. Will it hurt you, you betcha so that also makes it real.

Does it pretend to be a wakizashi, no. Yes it does have some Japanese influence, but not many and not serious.

So is it only, when it is offered as a Japanese sword, it becomes a fake?

Or until then is it just a bad copy?

But it is fair to say, call it what you want, it is NOT nihonto!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..