Los Angeles County Museum of Art Sword exhibit

To All,

I am happy to announce the new sword exhibit to be held at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art starting this November. This is why I have been out of touch for a while, it was a big secret as they wanted it to be a surprise. It will run at the same time as the great armor collection from the Ann and Gabriel Barbier and Mueller collection. Brian can you keep this on the upper portion for a little while? I hope that this will bring more interest and good will to the field of Japanese swords, it is nice to see some positive news rather than negativity. And yes there will be a publication at a special price of around $20 for nmb members to be announced at a later date (it is at the printers now).post-2602-1419694116075_thumb.jpg

Mike

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I had a chance to visit LACMA today to see both the Armor Exhibit and the Nihonto & Fitting Exhibit. There were a lot of swords and fittings from Mike Y.'s collection as well as other incredible pieces. The armor exhibit was really, really nice too, and I must say it was quite eye-opening for me to see the workmanship and intricate decorations on armors. I am not an armors collector, but I really liked the exhibit. I took lots of pictures, but only some came out decent. It was hard to hold the camera and shoot in manual mode. Auto mode and nihonto just don't mix :cry: I did manage to get some decent close up shots. Enjoy!

Regards,

Hoanh

post-3198-14196949704694_thumb.jpg

post-3198-14196949712569_thumb.jpg

post-3198-14196949718383_thumb.jpg

post-3198-14196949724948_thumb.jpg

Close up pics of the Soshu Sadamune

post-3198-14196949727625_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1419694973594_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
post-2602-14196955368229_thumb.jpgA few pics for those that can't attend. The exhibition has been getting quite some good feedback and interest in Japanese swords. Just for our club, many new people are interested in coming. Its has been a while since something like this has been done to promote the art of Japanese sword collecting. The result has been nice, not negative at all. I spent time walking the exhibit just as a visiting "patron" and listened to the nice comments that were made. I also have given 3 lectures for the display, and they were well received from what we could see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..