Could someone provide me with info about this Japanese sword

Dennis

September 20, 2006

Hello,

I picked up this Japanese sword at a local flea market. It wasn't too expensive but it wasn't cheap. The seller told me that it was a vet bring back after the war. It only measures 25 inches in length. Going over the information on the Internet I think this is a WW2 Japanese Army sword for crew members? Are they talking about tank crews? I can't tell if this is a spring steel blade or a folded blade. I'm no expert on the subject. I've tried to attach scans. Can anyone read what is on the tang? I can only make out the last two characters of Dai or Tai and Do or Machi. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis English

September 21, 2006

Brain,

I can't seem to attach scans as I'm not that computer savvy. When I try to attach them using the forum's attachment feature I get the message "The Attachment/Image must be less than 1024 pixels wide and 1024 pixels high". I don't know how to reduce the pixels in my images.

Dennis English

dje55@sbcglobal.net

Here are the pics Dennis emailed.

Looks like an interesting blade.

Folks..please remember that the How-To forum contains lots of info on how to resize pics, upload them etc etc. You can resize using Windows Paint or other free progs..all the info is in there. No harm done though..you can always email me if you are stuck :)

Regards,

Brian

Katana.JPG

Katana2.JPG

September 26, 2006

Mr. Quang M. Doan & Brian,

Thanks for all of your help. With this signature of Izu Kami Fujiwara Daido does this mean that it is possibly a hand forged (folded) blade or did this particular swordsmith mass produce the spring steel blades during the war? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dennis English

Dennis,

Based on what can be seen in the picture I would be confident that what you have is not a second world war blade. More likely a shinto piece from the mid 1700s and therefore traditionally made.

The original Daido worked in the 1570s and depending which references you go to was the founder of the Mishina school or/ and the Daido school. A number of subsequent generations used the daido (also read O-Michi or great Michi) name with various different titles.

If you bought this as a ww2 sword I think you did very well (assuming you would prefer a shinto traditionaly made sword)

lists 4 Daido signing this way.

Koto

1. Daido, Izu no Kami. Bunroku era ( 1592 ) It is not clear if there was a nidai or a sandai, or if they even went by the same name. ( see shinsto section )

Shinto

2.Daido, Izu no Kami. Kanei era ( 1624 )

3.Daido, Izu no Kami. Kanbun era ( 1661 )

4.Daido, Izu no Kami. Kanbun or Enpo era ( 1661 - 1673 )

Thats all I have

Rich

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..