Genuine or fake general sword knot?

hxv

Gentlemen,

This is a tough one - a split decision. The person offering it to me is an honest guy, but that's not the issue here. He could have purchased a fake and not know any better. I did email him with my concern and asked him how he had come to purchase it. I expect and answer soon. I appreciate all of your inputs, gentlemen.

Regards,

Hoanh

Like much of the German militaria out there, the fakes have become so good, that many have stopped collecting altogether.

I know that I for one, wouldn't even purchase one of these tassels without 100% provenance. It is just not worth it, and you can bet the fakes are solving even the very few telltale signs.

Brian

Thank you all. I think I will pass on it, too. No upside, too much downside! Anyhow, below is the seller's reply to my inquiry.

Regards,

Hoanh

It's a fair question. I also don't know much about determining provenance and the like for WWII knots, but I firmly believe this is original for one reason:

I bought it at a sword shop in Tokyo in 1998-99, before the Chinese fakes became so convincing. In those days, the sliding knot always looked wrong. Now, they're doing them better, and it's hard to tell the difference.

At the time, I had seen no Japanese fakes at all, and there were often sword knots still tucked away in drawers in little family shops like the ones I bought my knots from. So, because I bought my knots in Japan at a time when the Chinese weren't faking them well, I am sure this one is real.

I just compared photos with the two fakes currently active on eBay, and noticed two things:

1. One of them seems to be using bright yellow nylon for the tassels. Obviously wrong color.

2. On the other one (the most expensive), look at the sliding knot (still not quite right, but almost there) and the little gold loops immediately above the tassel strands, made from the same material as the strands. The "loops" are just not as tight as mine and the two genuine ones that are listed under the sold items.

The workmanship is a bit below the level of the genuine ones.

Perhaps not conclusive (I don't know what is conclusive with these), but worth a look.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Few years ago I used to have one which was not so new. At that time, I heard that there were fakes ones in circulation in Japan and they were easily recognizable because they had four rows of stiches instead of three. One tip a serious collector gave me to help you to know if it is a good one or not, is that the red dye used at that time by the Japanese army was not of good quality. In case of rain, the red dye was staining the officers uniforms (only field and general officers had tassels with red dying) which caused quite a lot of complains.

Coming back to your nice tassel, my opinion is that this one is too new to be honest. I've seen in Japan in stores dedicated to military personnel of the Japanese Self Defense Forces such old time tassels (but new). I don't know what it was here for sale because this type of tassel is out of the current military regulations.

Hope it helps. :dunno:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..