鍛治司 inscription: kanuchi tsukasa?

Robert Janssen

Hey guys,

I have this kogatana that came with a koshirae set. Morita-san graciously translated the inscription as: 泉州 堺 鍛治司 造 之 (senshû sakai kajishi tsukuru kore).

I researched this inscription and arrived at: ... in Sakai city in Senshû (Izumi) province made this.

鍛治司 gave me some issues. This can be read as kajishi, but also kanuchi tsukasa. Kanuchi tsukasa translating to “Smith’s office”, with some references adding a note as to the imperial smith’s office with this name circa 7th to 10th century in the Ritsuryō system of ancient Japan. Also to note that kanuchi was most of the time written with 冶 instead of 治. 鍛治 is aparently an archaic form of kanuchi?

I have found similar inscriptions like these on kogatana on the web, however they were written with saku instead of tsukuru, which isn’t quite the same...

So anyway: any ideas what this inscription means? Were these kogatana “mass produced” by the smiths office of Sakai, or was there indeed something imperial involved? Sakai was a big city back in the days with it’s important port and knife/sword/gun making industry. Has anyone come across one of these before?

Greets,

Robby

post-2134-14196934971454_thumb.jpg

Doesn't seem like a lot of info is available on this and kogatana in general... 2 books in Japanese and 2 NCJSC bulletin articles it seems... (thanks Pete Klein for that info)

Kogatana by John Yumoto, 5pp, with charts!! newsletter #2 1977

Tosu and Kogatana, by John Yumoto, edited by Alan Harvie, september and October 1999

Another question: I posted this in Nihonto, but are kogatana considered Nihonto? Or are they more considered the same way we see (pocket)knives? Do they fall under the registration restrictions in Japan now?

thanks!

Robby

and  are different.

so, I think,

泉州 Sen-shu (Izumi no kuni province/Southern part of Osaka)

堺鍛 Sakai Kaji (smith of Sakai city)

治司 Harushi(ji) Smith name

造之 Tsukuru/kore (kore wo tsukuru)/ Made by

Made by Haruji the smith of Sakai in Senshu...

Sorry Martin, I meant to say:

how do you come to the conclusion of "mori"(i meant instead of "shi")? do you read a different kanji for that or do you read 司 as mori?

I copied and pasted the kanji for haru instead of shi, my mistake! :bang:

the question still stands though, but with the right kanji this time ;)

thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..