another good sword i found at an old antique shop

i found this and bought it for a good price it was a nice black tone , now i side is cleaner ...any thoughts on age school ...i welcome all opinions...its s little on the thin side and not as stiff as most of the swords I've had...my ko mino uchigatana was about the same as far as them being thinner and more flexible than the blades I've has that wer not as old....also o found 2 very small umegane its impressive how small they are an some tiny hada ware ...im impressed that and the o kissaki had me interested off the bat...it shows all the tell tale signs of being repaired at least a few times in the kissaki and monouchi area monouchi is almost straight and very little turn back is left in the boshi....i think its old and o suriage and should turn out nice wen restored

post-4748-14196934202157_thumb.jpg

post-4748-14196934226255_thumb.jpg

post-4748-14196934235474_thumb.jpg

post-4748-14196934253974_thumb.jpg

post-4748-14196934273211_thumb.jpg

post-4748-14196934289264_thumb.jpg

Joe D.,

:sign:

You will be lucky if anybody can tell something of this totally out of polish blade. There are hakobore near the hamachi, other along the blade, the yokote is barely visible. It seems that the blade is suriage but no one can say if it is O suriage or not....a good polish is needed to be able to say more about it but only a togishi can assess if it is possible or not. Perhaps a nambokucho suriage sword but it is a very very very long shot. BTW, what do you call a O kissaki?

now i don't want anyone thinking i bend swords but this one needed to be straightened out just a tad....and o kissaki wen kissaki is much longer than it is wide....in a few days the polish should be able to tell more of the story.....but still not bad for 300 bucks?

• 2 weeks later...

At least for me from these images the look of this sword raises a caution flag for having been exposed to high heat. Hopefully I'm wrong. A thought to keep in mind when shopping for hidden treasures is that there are a ton of bad nihonto out there, some of which have already failed a shinsa or two that keep making the rounds waiting for another unsuspecting buyer to mistake temptation for opportunity.

Joe, I am assuming that is your name - well done you on acquiring what may well turn out to be a reasonable sword. I detect from your posts your enthusiasm and the pleasure your new acquisition has given you. It is tragic that the blade has suffered abuse from some idiot in the past, but that is not the blade's fault. Have it looked at by a qualified polisher and take their advice on what can be done to repair or minimize the damage. Even if they cannot remove all of it, I'm sure it could be returned to a state that will give you even more pleasure, and more importantly allow you to learn from it.

Ian Bottomley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..