Yugen - a study in the dark. Another free film in HD.

Ford Hallam

Many of you will have seen images of this tsuba in my photo gallery here but not so many will have seen how it was made.

post-229-14196933295737_thumb.jpg

This is the premier public 'screening' of the latest offering from the acclaimed South African film-maker and my most excellent friend, Brad Schaffer and with the indispensable support or our ever reliable Mr Bob Morrison.

http://bradshawschaffer.com/Bradshaw_Schaffer___Filmmaker___Yugen.html

It's shorter than our previous collaboration, only 12 minutes, but we believe it packs quite a punch. You may be pleased to learn you won't have to listen to me rabbit on as there's no commentry. We did, however, comission a piece of music specifically for the film from Sasha Sonnbichler, a leading South African composer. We actully wanted some Miles Davis but what we ended up with is far better I think.

The film is deliberately more arty and moody. This is to reflect various aesthetic sensibilities both Brad and I were leaning towards after trying to grasp the essence of Junichiro Tanizaki's 'In Praise of Shadows.'

The film is also availible to view in high res. by clicking on the big black block.

Enjoy, and please share it far and wide.

regards to all,

Ford

P.s. And if this inspires you to pick up a chisel you might want to join me on some classes I'll be running in New Hampshire next month. Drop me a message via my website if you're interested.

Bravo Ford. :clap:

That tsuba is a superb piece of art that appeals to me at the highest level. And that groundwork.... :!:

My biggest regret is not being able to commission a piece from you when I had a slight chance. Oneday maybe....but this is a joy to behold.

Brian

Absolutely wonderful Ford! My favorite part is when you are carving the lineal furrows in the leaf - that must take tremendous control. The art in the piece is as superb as the craft. Thanks for posting this! If you have a link to your website to see the items that you have available, please post or send it. Do tell more about the NH class - do you teach working in soft metal only? Cheers, Bob

Just lovely, thank you very much for sharing.

It kills me that I'm fortunate enough to be very close to where you run the class, but don't have the financial means to attend. I'm sure there are plenty here who have the opposite problem!

Maybe next year...

Ford,

Lovely tsuba and film. I found the concept of yūgen very compelling. Anyone who has seen me on SFI or myArmoury may remember my signature for the last 10+ years, the following quote:

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science.

(From "The World as I See It" by Albert Einstein.)

That sense of wonder is a powerful motivating factor in my interest in any and all forms of art. Thank you for reminding me of that. :)

Guido,

I don't suppose this will work... :glee:

MEIN GOTT - sounds more like an "exercise for many fingers" than a pleasantly melodious guitar piece!!! But thanks for the introduction to a guitar artiste previously unknown to me. I shall seek out other performances.

Bestests,

BaZZa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..