Right down the street

tokashikibob

Gents, Got a message and a grainy photo from a fella saying he's got a sword and some misc gear. Crazy thing is that he's less than a half mile away. Living in a the largest Marine town in the good old U.S.A there are always good leads to track down and this was one of them. Just found in closet Family sword from SgtMaj's Japanese wife who was part of a aristocracy in Japan. The son just started to work the mother's polish into it and was laying on some nice fingerprints.

The tsuka has some odd yarn like material under itomaki, what type/meaning is that?

Cut down blade with one kanji left, Blade is very nice with only some discoloration on the yokote area. Hamon gets thin there and it is hard to see around the yokote/kissaki but I don't think it runs off.

I'd like to make a fair offer, he does not need to sell, and I don't need to steal anything, what do you think would be a fair price?

Best Regards,

Bob

post-2524-14196932651004_thumb.jpg

post-2524-14196932670034_thumb.jpg

post-2524-14196932690113_thumb.jpg

post-2524-14196932707147_thumb.jpg

Looks like it will be Kanemoto, Kanesada, Kanefusa ... some of the shots look like a Kanemoto hamon but some others look like the last two. So regardless I think it's a Mino blade. Just need to have a close look at the Kane character and try to narrow it down as well as making a full evaluation of the hamon.

Hi Bob.

Jussi is right that the wrap covers some sort of brocade but it is not necessarily Japanese, perhaps Chinese. As all the twists on the wrap go in the same direction rather than alternating you might be looking at a re wrap once the sword was out of Japan. I don't think we are in national treasure territory here, (unless, of course, Darcy can pin it down to Magoroku :D ). Have a browse on Ebay for what similar swords are fetching.

Have fun.

Any photos of the whole piece, in and out of mounts? How long is it? Any big ware or other flaws? Pits, cracks, chips, bends....... All of these will figure into its value. I agree with Darcy about school. Between the Kane and what appears to be sanbonsugi hamon, it has that feel. If those photos were put exactly as they are on ebay, it would bring about $2K to $2500. Hope this helps. Cheers, Bob

Any photos of the whole piece, in and out of mounts? How long is it? Any big ware or other flaws? Pits, cracks, chips, bends....... All of these will figure into its value. I agree with Darcy about school. Between the Kane and what appears to be sanbonsugi hamon, it has that feel. If those photos were put exactly as they are on ebay, it would bring about $2K to $2500. Hope this helps. Cheers, Bob

Bob, Thanks for the ballpark, 2k is what I offered yesterday which I thought was fair seeing that Nihontocraft has some choice Kane Mino under 3k polished with papers, I'll post some detailed stuff if he decides to sell. No flaws except some large grain, and would need a finish polish. Nice piece hope he deals.

Best regards,

Bob

• 3 years later...

Hey Bob, that's great news and good to see follow up news outcome from the Shinsa.  Congratulations.  Its obviously a katana, but what's the length now given it is suriage???

BaZZa.

Hey Bob, that's great news and good to see follow up news outcome from the Shinsa.  Congratulations.  Its obviously a katana, but what's the length now given it is suriage???

BaZZa.

BaZZa,   I think it is a hair under katana length,  wish it wasn't but it is.    I found it very surprising it was a Kanemoto as I am programmed to think Kanemoto=sanbontsugi .   Now, I have 2 Kanemoto,  so I guess I am a Kanemoto collector.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..