Ubu and Mumei

Surfson

Thanks Josh!  It would be fine with me.  It's not every day you find an ubu blade from the 13th or 14th century.... I will let you know how it does at shinsa, and because I am a bit skeptical about the opinions of "experts", it wouldn't surprise me if it papers to a different school, pitting the opinions of NTHK-NPO and NBTHK.  I have three mumei swords going through this shinsa, and at least it is reassuring that they will paper one way or another.  

• Like 1

By the way, I have bought 17 tickets from Chris Bowen for the upcoming NTHK-NPO shinsa in Chicago.  I am always trying to find the next candidate to send to Japan for full restoration.  I know it's a conservative approach, and indicative of a certain amount of insecurity, but I don't mind having two sets of papers on a sword (It's certainly better than no sets!).  And it makes them easier to sell should I decide not to send it for one reason or another.  

I don't know about you, but sometimes I get a sword that has a pretty decent polish and I feel a little stuck.  I love looking at a blade that is perfectly polished, but polishing a blade that is already in decent old polish has three problems with it.  One is that it only improves the enjoyment of the blade modestly, two is that it only adds incremental economic value to the blade (and certainly less than the cost of the polish) and three, it removes steel and I feel like it violates the principal of "hozon" or preservation.  How do you approach this quandary?  

I generally have similar internal conflict of thought. However, I think I stand with the Japanese in their perspective. "It's better a sword have a chip left in the edge, than remove it and leave a bad shape". I love a minty blade. But I can't bring myself to polish a sword unless it really needs a polish (bad geometry, damage, extremely rusty/ scratched & banged up) and/ or is guaranteed to increase its value 2 or 3 times afterwards. Or at least break even. If the swords polish is good but old or light issues (cloudy, scratched, a chip etc), I think it's better left alone and healthy. I don't mind an imperfect polish if I know the sword is well made and without major flaws. I'm happy with one attribution from either nthk or nbthk. I think we've all seen questionable attributions from both. I'd only consider 2 if I really disagreed with the first, or if it was a major find and big title.

Thanks, Josh.  I don't particularly desire two sets of papers, it's just that I hesitate to send a sword to Japan that I am not already completely positive is shoshin, or, if koto and osuriage or mumei, was made by a school or maker worthy of the expense to send it.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..