Casting Barrels

DanC

Dear Gary,

Ah, ... it is good to have a metallurgist on the board. Agreed cannon barrels were cast, .... but I disagree with you on much smaller items of brass and/or bronze not being able to be forged. It all depends on getting the temperature just right. It also depends upon the alloy being used. By example: Please refer to :

and
. Please NOTE : http://www.himalayanbowls.com/singing-b ... tion/?p=24 .

Now then, ... you are going to tell us that the forging of bronze is not possible ? I just happen to own a Japanese singing bell, ... please see : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2554&p=65112&hilit=bell#p65112 Scroll down the page.

I did not say that brass/bronze Japanese gun barrels were forged. I did say, ... I did not know. I gave an opinion on two separate examples of Brass/Bronze Japanese gun barrels.

... Ron Watson

Dear Geraint,

Thank you for adding the link. I searched the internet for a more simplified version but amazingly could not come up with anything. Although on reading thru the link provided, it covers the casting of cannons, ... I at least found it somewhat confusing. I have somewhere in my library a detailed ( but more simplified ) description but I cannot find it ( actually it is possible I've sold the book ). Perhaps Ian Bottomley knows the book, or can give a simplified description. I will as time permits search a bit more.

... Ron Watson

Unfortunately, youtube is a bit of an issue here at the farm, even with a satellite isp package. Infinitely better than dial up, but still low bandwidth and monthly data limits. Will need to remember to take a look when I am at my folks place in town.

Ron, have you noticed how I have been trying to ask questions that people unfamiliar with firearms might not think of asking? ;) Not sure if most people realize how much more difficult it is to make a barrel than a sword. :dunno:

Dear Dan C,

You just said : " Not sure if most people realize how much more difficult it is to make a barrel than a sword "

Dear God, ... Dan see if the RCMP will issue you a concealed handgun carry permit. Your life is now in mortal danger. OH, OH my sides are splitting from :rotfl: I guess we're pretty safe as the tunnel vision nihonto enthusiasts would not normally lower themselves to look in upon us :laughabove: !

... Anonymouse Ron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..