Advice please chaps

hi, i am a keen collector of military items from the world wars and i have always held a fascination with japansese weapons...

i want to buy a ww2 Japanese gunto. I will probably only be able to afford a production piece but was wondering how much I should pay as a maximum and where are the best places to buy online apart from ebay??

I live in the Uk in the west midlands so if anyone knows of any antique fairs or dealers in the area please let me know...

I also thought genuine nihonto started at £5000+ yet I see items mentioned on this site for sometimes $1-2000 dollars (£500-1000)??

I am trying to get together some reading material on the subject but good books are hard to find and ive only just been able to track down some of amazon which are on their way now..

I am sick of chinese production blades (paul chens etc) and want to make the step up, but just wanted an idea of the money id need for a) a decent production gunto, b) a lower range nihonto and c) the best places to get a ww2 gunto (i see this sites classifieds seems the best place so far for nihontos but dont see any ww2 gunto's listed?)

i appreciate im asking alot here, but any advice will be greatly appreciated..

thanks for your time

In the states you can pick up a wwII blade from anywhere from $200 USD for a mass produced crapper to $5000 or more for a gendai in gunto mounts. It just depends. You can fine an older forged blade for $1000 on up (and sometimes less).

Hi,Go and see Bill Tagg at Liverpool Militaria. He's as straight as an arrow and will fix you up.You could always go to the arms fair at the National Motorcycle Museum or Stockport arms fair Bill stands at these fairs. Another member of this forum summed it up when he said "If you want to buy good swords,buy good books" There's a world of truth in that!

Like someone in this forum you can pick up a signed tachi for $40 out of a barrel of sabers. (although it needed to be polished for $1800) Just have to be patient and keep reading books. There are some recommendation on this forum under "Suggested Reading" page. Good hunting.

A good place in the UK to find decent priced Shin Gunto is at Michael D. Long:

http://www.michaeldlong.com/

They aren't too familiar with Japanese swords, and I wouldn't buy an expensive Nihonto there, but for WW2 swords, they have some decent deals. Feel free to ask for opinions if you are looking at something.

Also, I have never heard anything bad about Bill Tagg, so that advice is good.

You should be able to pick up a Shin Gunto for around $1000 from the USA, and a bit higher from the UK usually.

Regards,

Brian

Hi,

If you can get to the fair at the Motorcycle museum I will introduce you to various dealers that have Japanese swords, these include Bill Tagg, Michael d Long and Chris James.

They all have a vast aray of blades at different quality levels.

The next fair is Sunday 16th September.

Let me know if you are going and we will meet up.

Regards

Mark

the best places to get a ww2 gunto (i see this sites classifieds seems the best place so far for nihontos but dont see any ww2 gunto's listed?)

I would recommend a trip to Bill's shop on a Saturday. Collectors from all over the North West meet up every Saturday in his shop so it can be quite lively. You will get to see and handle a lot of swords. He's open from 10.45 until about 3.30.

wow this stuff is amazing, what a bunch of helpfull people you all are!!

I live literally 5 minutes from the national motorcycle museum and never knew they had an arms sale meeting there!!

How are the vendors there? do they sell for reasonable prices??

I would love to travel down to liverpool although shame theres no good sellers in the midlands.....it sounds like I better drive down one day to see this chap as his shop sounds right up my street...

Hi,

All the vendors are fairly good, but always haggle :D

The prices range for Japanese swords covers all budgets.

I would also recommend a visit to Bills shop, you will be there all day and its good fun, maybe while you are there go to the museum and see the nihonto and related items display.

You could try Chris james at medalsandmilitaria.co.uk, shop is in Warwick and he also runs the fair at the motorcycle museum.

Regards

Mark C

That's great... Thanks Mark... and thanks Carlito for this thread..

Warwick is 15 miles from my English home (even though I am there ony 3 or 4 weeks a year!!).. so I will go and see Chris James... will miss the September fair as I will be in Japan... NEC is ony 30 minutes away.. maybe next time.

Cheers

think ill go to the november fair as thats after my birthday on the 6th and also gives me some time to save...

any other sword sellers, clubs in the midlands i should know about..

which museums in the uk display nihontos?

if i find a decent looking gunto blade for sale on ebay or somewhere else can i post details and pics on the site to get advice from you more knowledgable chaps?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..