Sequel to 'Uchiko Must Die'

sanjuro

Here it is.... Jean asked for it.......You know you want it.......The sequel to 'Uchiko Must Die' The only thread that I can remember recently in which all posters agreed. Now we tread those hitherto untrodden paths where we ask is the use of uchiko permissable/ recommended/etc on blades that are out of polish??

Here is where uchikophiles may extoll the virtues of the much maligned powder that was demonised in 'Uchiko Must Die'.

I pause here to make the distinction between genuine uchiko and the talcum type uchiko that is sometimes sold and is used to remove finger marks from iaito.

Speaking for myself I have on occasion used uchiko to bring up the hamon of an older out of polish blade. I believe there is value in uchiko in this respect. What do others think? Particularly those who have been around nihonto long enough to remember when uchiko was not the demon it is considered to be today.

Late Jim Kurrash had an excellent article on the use of uchiko on out of polish blades. Perhaps someone has saved his files. He had also a fantastic article titled "Kantei is easy".

Found this one

http://web.archive.org/web/20041021160445/http://members.cox.net/jkk/swordcle.htm

I recall there were many more from Jim on the subject on the Shoshin forum back in the 90s ;)

Wah

I think what we forget, and what was briefly alluded to in the other thread, was that the use of Uchiko dates back to times when our swords were weapons and used as such. Before microfibre cloths and denatured alcohol. Before hadori polish. In use (and I apologise to those who prefer not to contemplate a sword's primary reason for existence), a sword blade becomes fouled by blood and fatty deposits. Both of these are corrosive and need to be removed before they cause damage. Uchiko and oil (clove oil) did that quite effectively. The slight scratching caused by the uchiko was a small price to pay for the advantages of having an oiled and unfouled blade. The scratching was miniscule compared to the scratches and scores the blade would accumulate from passing through bone and various bits of armour worn by its victims, or the gouging another blade would cause during a fight. Its a relative thing really.

Our swords as I was once told by a very wise man, were created to save the life of the wielder and to take the life of an opponent just once. Any more than that was a bonus. The sword was disposable, no matter how fine it may have been. It existed for one purpose only.

That we have elevated it beyond that status is to our credit. Now we have little need of a sword as a weapon. We have hadori polish. We have denatured alcohol and microfibre cloths. Times have changed.

I still enjoy the ritual of cleaning and reoiling the blade though...... ;) There's something very relaxing about the process.

I only have a very light coating on them and only change it at most twice a year. I use no Uchiko on the polished blades at all. As to why I oil them, its mostly because we have very wet although short winters and quite high humidity in summer. We also have a high salt content in our coastal breezes all summer, and I live on the coast a little south of Perth. Better safe than sorry and I guess if I am being honest then I cant really imagine not oiling the blades. Old habits die very hard and oiling my blades is one of my oldest habits going back to my martial arts days.

I should say that there still is a purpose to it today, for those people who are finding blades in bad condition. I just didn't have a lot of time on the other post before having to go. Working on a lot of sword listings.

It is just a technology that has hung on past its time in some roles. Even Jim K never saw a microfiber cloth. Now that we have this we should be aggressive I think in seeing uchiko go to the sunset as a primary use sword maintenance tool. It should live on in its role as a more aggressive treatment which is necessary in some cases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..