The Vesta/Match-safe in Japan

The invention in the early 19th century, approximately 1826, of a workable friction match by an English chemist ... John Walker in Stocton-on-Tees ended the hundreds of years of man striking flint to steel to obtain fire. Other inventors improved upon Walker's design. One Richard Bell developed an ignitable tip an improvement over Walker's design which required a piece of sandpaper to initiate the lighting of the match by striking the tip against the sandpaper. With Bell's design the match could be ignited by striking the tip against practically any surface.

These early strike anywhere matches had the uncomfortable characteristic of igniting accidentally by rubbing against one another whilst in the pocket or even by mice chewing upon them often with dire consequences. It was therefore necessary to place the matches in some sort of fireproof box, ... thus the invention of the Vesta or Match-safe.

The first were simple rectangular or circular containers, ... but soon to follow as style and art would dictate a multitude of both decorated boxes and containers shaped as animals, birds, fish, people, books and everything else imaginable.

The Japanese quick to copy and improve upon Western ideas soon began to produce Match-safes in a variety of Eastern themes. Many were made in a heavy lacquered paper mache while others were produced in copper, silver, tin, and old sword fittings ... using the Fuchi/Kashira for lid and bottom with a small hollow container often resembling a Tsuka to hold the matches. Humorous designs of Priests, Deities and not a few erotic Shunga types were produced.

Since both sexes smoked match-safes appealing to both men and women appear and were easily carried in the sleeve of the traditional Kimono.

As I have said before this utilitarian item and quite often artistic item is rapidly disappearing into collections around the world. They are yet another example of a Japanese Art form that few of you recognize or watch for. I have pictured a few from my modest collection for your interest.

As always any error or omissions are mine alone. I hope you enjoy.

... Ron Watson

post-1782-14196926310033_thumb.jpg

post-1782-14196926318769_thumb.jpg

post-1782-14196926321586_thumb.jpg

post-1782-14196926325176_thumb.jpg

post-1782-14196926327116_thumb.jpg

post-1782-14196926329135_thumb.jpg

Ah Ron!

Painful memory. Sadly no pictures.

My father in law was a long time collector of vesta cases as we call them in the UK. He amassed a fine collection of several hundred, mostly silver and gold examples. The one that was the jewel in his collection was a fine iron case with the most stunning takazogan of two cranes besides some rocks and plants. At the time it was the finest work I had seen. Alas my hints were too subtle and when the time came for him to liquidate his assets he sent them to a London auction house, including the one I coveted. My only consolation is that somewhere a vesta collector has it in pride of place.

I have no doubt that some out of work tsuba shi discovered a way of using his skills and produced this work of art after the haitorei. As an aside he was told that the work was called obi kirime, a term I have not heard elsewhere.

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..